Home Open Account Help 382 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > CSX CL&W Sub

Date: 07/21/17 19:17
CSX CL&W Sub
Author: EL3600

What is the current status, traffic-wise, of the CL&W Sub north of Sterling, OH? I have heard that it is out of service, but last night I saw a three-unit consist and a string of gons tied down just north of town.

Date: 07/21/17 19:26
Re: CSX CL&W Sub
Author: n

thats where csx is storing some of the 25k freight cars and 900 loco;s they have in storage

Date: 07/21/17 20:31
Author: toledopatch

I, too, have been told by locals who should know what's running that the track is out of service between Lester and Sterling, with a local based at Lester handling what's left of the branch to Lorain and a local out of somewhere in Cleveland relaying cars to/from Lester and handling whatever's left on that leg.

Date: 07/22/17 00:12
Author: WLE2679

toledopatch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
I live by the line on the segment, haven't heard a train in a few days. The local out of Willard was pretty efficient, they would pull into Lester and make their set out and pick up in about a half an hour. Sad sight as the line was seeing around 6 a day not long ago, with unit stone/coal, road freights and locals.

I, too, have been told by locals who should know
> what's running that the track is out of service
> between Lester and Sterling, with a local based at
> Lester handling what's left of the branch to
> Lorain and a local out of somewhere in Cleveland
> relaying cars to/from Lester and handling
> whatever's left on that leg.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/17 01:32 by WLE2679.

Date: 07/22/17 05:23
Author: halfmoonharold

So Parma is now the connection to the outside world. Any info on traffic out of Lorain? Does CSX get any steel traffic at all?

Date: 07/22/17 07:16
Author: MEKoch

Sterling 1 & 2 are loaded with storage cars and trains at this time. It is the EHH era! Thus no moves on the portion of the CL&W south of Lester.

North portion has the Lester-Lorain local. Traffic is sparse with the steel mills in Lorain barely operating.

Everything for Lester comes through Parma Yard.

A Collinwood local comes west on the mainline (Clev Shortline) to Parma (GM parts plant); then north on the Clev Sub to Clark Yard (Mittal steel mill).

Date: 07/22/17 07:25
Author: WLE2679

Lester in better times. Crews were very nice there over the 20 years I have photographed at the location.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0401 seconds