Home Open Account Help 365 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > R.J. Corman Cresson Pa.

Date: 07/22/17 14:36
R.J. Corman Cresson Pa.
Author: algoma11

I am planning a trip to Altoona shortly. Been to Cresson before but have never seen a Corman train.
Anyone know what days or times might be better at the Cresson rail park to see Corman movements????
Thanks

Mike Bannon
St Catharines, ON

Date: 07/22/17 15:19
Re: R.J. Corman Cresson Pa.
Author: globalethanol

seems to be Corman activity almost daily but times are hit or miss. listen to your scanner and you`ll hear them. last night they brought a loaded coal train onto 5 west at Cresson. also loaded and empty corn trains between Cresson and Clearfield.

twl

Date: 07/22/17 15:36
Author: DJ-12

Keep a listen on 160.845 (the corman channel) and also for a corman trains getting permission in through the engine house area to and from 5 west from the Cresson enginehouse .

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/22/17 20:17
Author: algoma11

Thanks that helps!

Mike Bannon
St Catharines, ON

Date: 07/22/17 20:20
Author: pennsy3750

I'm pretty sure Clymer is now last active coal loadout on RJCP, though there might be one or two more that still load sporadically. I am under the impression that most of the Clymer traffic gets handed off to NS at Keating, not Cresson, so I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for RJ Corman to appear in Cresson.

I know its been several years now since a train loaded at Fallen Timber on the Irvona Secondary.

Date: 07/23/17 02:51
Author: globalethanol

like I said, they pulled a loaded train in on 5 west on friday night. It`s still there this morning and NS takes it west as a 578 I think. Empties should come back in a few days. The loads look typical of Clymer. They`ve been running to Cresson for a few months now. i heard they were loading for PP&L also and those were getting handed off at Keating

tom

pennsy3750 Wrote:
------------------------------------------------

I am under the
> impression that most of the Clymer traffic gets
> handed off to NS at Keating, not Cresson, so I
> wouldn't hold my breath waiting for RJ Corman to
> appear in Cresson.
>
> I know its been several years now since a train
> loaded at Fallen Timber on the Irvona Secondary.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/17 02:53 by globalethanol.

Date: 07/23/17 07:37
Author: NKP715

Keep in mind, RJC trains into and out of
Cresson use a mix of NS and RJC power
sets. From my limited observations,
RJC power on north end of train, with
NS on south end. Am sure others can
provide more details.

The view from the Cresson "park" of
RJC is somewhat limited. There are several
good locations at Crossings several miles
north at Munster. There's also the Arch Street
crossing in Cresson, but from my observations,
the RJC power is cut off at this point. Once
again, others probably provide more info.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/17 07:47 by NKP715.

Date: 07/23/17 08:52
Author: BCutter

The only time I have seen Corman power on 5 West is when NS has brought a loaded grain train in westbound on Main 3 with NS power fore and aft. After the train backs onto 5W, the helper on the west end cuts off and the power on the east end remains to keep the air. When Corman comes down, they usually cut off the NS power and leave it someplace in Cresson's yard. RJCP then couples on with their Red and White SDs and pulls the train slowly off 5W. When they return the MT grain train or the loaded coal bucket, they have been putting the NS power back on before they head onto 5W.

As far as the Irvona branch, the E.P. Bender tipple in Fallentimber hasn't loaded a train for at least 5 years and probably at least a fair bit longer. That was last time I was at my in-laws in Fallentimber and the strip mines were no longer bringing coal in for cleaning and loading at that tipple.

Bruce
Columbia MO

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/17 09:59 by BCutter.

Date: 07/23/17 11:56

And I found some pix that I took in Fallentimber in March 2007 on RJCP's Irvona branch. The loaded train is headed back to Cresson. I was standing on Fiske Rd on the "new" bridge across the Clearfield Creek and Hwy 53 and downtown Fallentimber are on the other side of the train. At that time I was using a Kodak point and shoot so...

Picture 1 is the head end.

Picture 2 is a closeup crop of an ex-Conrail now NS SD60.

Picture 3 is the last pusher on the train .

Bruce

Date: 07/25/17 10:16
Author: JUTower

There was a loaded coal train on 5 West over this past weekend. Didn't see what brought it down. Coal was clearly bucket/front-end loaded.

Date: 07/25/17 11:30

The coal train on 5W left, a grain train (56K) came in this morning and RJC is picking it up even as I type. They are using the NS power.

Bruce

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0633 seconds