Home Open Account Help 288 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Abram's yard remote switcher question

Date: 07/25/17 16:00
Abram's yard remote switcher question
Author: VFPNSFAN

These are two GP38 high hoods assigned to Abram's yard in King of Prussia, PA. They have yellow strobe lights on the roof which I believe indicate remote operation. What is the actual remote control like? I guess I assume it's a hand held device so a crew member controls it on the ground standing in the vicinity of the motor? Is there a fail safe if the remote looses connection with the motor? TIA for any info.

Date: 07/25/17 17:33
Re: Abram's yard remote switcher question
Author: OHRY

It's not hand held at all. The operator wears a vest that a belt pack clips onto. If there is a communication interruption from the belt pack the rco unit will go into penalty until recovered by the operator.

Posted from Android

Date: 07/26/17 18:18

Does the remote mimic a control stand or is it a much more basic?

Date: 07/26/17 18:22
Author: NSDash9

Here's a link to a photo of a Beltpack unit:

http://www.cattron.com/dnn/Portals/0/BeltpackControllerLR.jpg

Chris Toth
NSDash9.com

Date: 07/26/17 18:43

That's interesting, thanks for the responses and info.

Date: 07/26/17 19:31
Author: JLinDE

Yes a belt pack. CSX has been using them in Wilsmere for two years at least. But the yard crews that have to cross-over cars between the east and westbound yards (sometimes 4-50 cars) use two man yard crews. Strangely, the two unts assigned rignt now are radial truck equipped AC's. Normally, only one is used. Some day EHH will catch on to this and make it a single SD-40 variant.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0963 seconds