Home Open Account Help 190 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > An authentic "Coal Drag"

Date: 08/11/17 07:23
An authentic "Coal Drag"
Author: cinder

On the cool morning (It was 43 degrees at Mance) of August 9, I drove to the Foley Overlook (mp200) on CSX's Sand Patch grade, hoping for bunched-up traffic in the aftermath of the terrible wreck at Hyndman the week before, less than 10 miles to the east. I was not disappointed as four trains and a helper movement passed by in a little over an hour.

In this video, an eastbound 130-car coal train (532 axles) is literally dragged down the mountain. The two diesels appear to be in the 8th notch as they struggle to pull the heavy train downhill at approximately 10-12 mph. Brake smoke is visible, even at this very low speed. No dynamic help on the rear.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 08/11/17 08:02
Re: An authentic "Coal Drag"
Author: globalethanol

down at 10 mph dynamics may do no good. I watched the Hyndman webcam and every train that came down #2 track was power braking thru town. mountain railroading and train handling at it`s best. that probably sounded better than coming up the west side.

twl

Date: 08/11/17 09:06
Author: jmbreitigan

Great picture and video.
John

Date: 08/11/17 17:14
Author: inCHI

So what is happened is that air brakes are heavily holding the train back and the engines are in notch 8 pulling to keep it moving but keep it really under control?

Date: 08/12/17 10:50
Author: cinder

Correct

Date: 08/13/17 12:06
Author: SD45X

Maybe in an attempt to prevent forces pushing the repaired railroad out of whack.

Date: 08/13/17 12:35
Author: tomstp

Shouldn't they put some swing helpers on that grade that assist west trains and help dynamic east trains? Seem like that would reduce fuel costs, brake ware costs etc. It also would free up the tracks of slow trains helping the fleet move.

I guess EHH hates coal trains so much he just won't do it.

Date: 08/13/17 13:55
Author: goneon66

my guess would be they don't want to risk the chance of anybody "pissing away" their air, so just drag em down the hill........

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.034 seconds