Home Open Account Help 307 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Weekend at Cresson (aka Playing with New Toys)

Date: 08/15/17 12:02
Weekend at Cresson (aka Playing with New Toys)
Author: JUTower

Hi all,
It's been awhile since I've posted, partly since I haven't been doing much photography... Every August, a bunch of friends spend a weekend at The Station Inn in Cresson, PA, along NS' busy Pittsburgh Line. I've joined in this group for the last few years. The gang is a neat bunch: some railroaders, artists, musicians, and other "misfits". :)

This year, the weekend afforded me the opportunity to try out some new toys - a DJI Spark quadcopter (aka "drone") and a Fuji X-Pro2 mirrorless camera, which replaced my trusty Canon 5D Mark II. I'll be posting about that on the Railfan Technology forum in more detail.

On to a few shots - first, from the new Fuji. I chose this format due to its smaller size, and relatively affordable and portable optical image-stabilized lenses. I grew tired of lugging the heavy SLR and four big lenses, and sometimes found myself getting lazy, by taking only the camera on some hike or up a big hill, and then wishing I had a different lens with me. Also, I liked the higher ISO and availability of small, fast prime lenses. Finally - the new Fuji has some features that made it more fun for family & people photography, like "film modes" and WiFi connection to my phone for instant gratification & sharing of photos.

1. A pair of SD60I's leads NS 35A west, passing a tunnel-motor belonging to RJ Corman. 55-200 OIS lens.
2. 20R descends the Slide down to the former site of Benny interlocking. 55-200 OIS with the "Acros" film setting for an in-camera monochrome image.
3. 21T glides by Cresson with a UP GE in the middle position.

Date: 08/15/17 12:13
Re: Weekend at Cresson (aka Playing with New Toys)

4. Testing out the high-ISO on a pan shot of a 52M grain train, shot from the porch @ The Inn.

Moving on to the quadcopter shots... I had been considering a drone for the last few years. As the price and size came down, and functionality & features improved, I think I hit the sweet spot with the DJI Spark. A very nice setup, case, extra batteries, remote controller, etc for less than $900, fit what I thought appropriate for this type of purchase. It's pretty easy to use but takes some skill and practice to get good at it.

5. NS 593 with two SD70ACu's lug 200 empty coal cars up the mountain @ Bennington Curve. Amazing to see the tracks nestled into the hillside like this.
6. NS 48A grain train, bound for Delaware, slows awaiting a better signal at CP-MO at the top of the Allegheny Grade.

Date: 08/15/17 12:15

7. Sunday morning found a C47 crew taking a loaded Sonman Mine train out to Altoona. Three SD80MACs on each end! Here, a 65K empty oil cans passes westbound as C47 takes the signal.
8. NS 578 loaded coal, off of RJ Corman, swings onto 5 West for a westbound trip... possibly to Leetsdale? A recent AC44C6M rebuild leads the way.

All in all, some neat power - lots of interesting NS Juniata rebuilds - and some coal - made for an exciting weekend of train traffic.
Tonight I'll post more detailed comments about the photo equipment over on the Tech forum.

Until then!
-Alex

Date: 08/15/17 12:45
Author: casavoye

Great stuff Alex ! Beautiful views and creativity. You shouldn't stay away so long. I miss those days on the old Pennsy side!

Date: 08/15/17 13:16
Author: NKP715

Yes. great shots !! The overheads give a fantastic perspective
of the trackage. Thanks for posting.

Did you happen to get an overview of the MO plant ? Would love
to see it.

Date: 08/15/17 13:32
Author: SantaFeRuss

Nice stuff you got there, Alex. Thanks for the effort. High time I go on up to Cresson. Never stayed at the Inn, but my late Wife and I stayed at the Tunnel Inn in Galitzen a few times before it closed.

SantaFeRuss

Date: 08/15/17 14:02
Author: ns1000

Great drone shots!! Thanks for sharing.

Date: 08/15/17 16:11
Author: jmbreitigan

Good to see a post form you. I loved your drone shots. I have to agree about lugging a heavy DSLR camera and extra lenses around. It can get old. Looking forward to your post on the technology board.
John

Date: 08/15/17 17:49
Author: bluesboyst

Hi Alex.... where there Corman engines on the back of the coal train?

Date: 08/15/17 18:25
Author: rbenko

Cool shots Alex - nice use of the drone!! You didn't mention you had a drone when you were showing off your new Fuji at the bar - or maybe you did and I don't remember? The rest of the night is a bit hazy, if you know what I mean!

Anyway, awesome to see Cresson from above - bumming I missed the 6 SD80MAC Sonman train!

- Rob

Date: 08/15/17 19:18
Author: Model_L

Here is the Sonman coal train - I thought I heard the symbol C90 - with 7200, 7216 and 7206 up front, and 7214, 7208 and 7202 pushing. 11:45 am Sunday 8/13/17.

Date: 08/15/17 22:57
Author: bluesboyst

I went down to Sonman on Saturday.. saw it being loaded....

Date: 08/16/17 04:24
Author: DJ-12

Looks like success on both fronts. Nicely done!

Posted from iPhone

Date: 08/16/17 08:09
Author: RGDave

Well done Alex, as always, and you're correct that the drone shots really add to the whole visual experience of photography, especially at places like Bennington Curve where the tree growth is really getting high and Cresson proper, where that yard layout which is so important is almost invisible when shooting from the ground.

Good stuff! Another in the 24-year legacy of weekends at The Station Inn, and one of my favorite such weekends, ever!

~RGDave

Date: 08/16/17 19:26
Author: OCtrainguy

Real nice series of photos with both the regular camera and the drone. Would've loved to personally see those SD80MACs again on a coal train!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0642 seconds