Home Open Account Help 330 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Battle Creek, Michigan, to South Bend, Indiana, Local Assignment

Date: 09/18/17 16:42
Battle Creek, Michigan, to South Bend, Indiana, Local Assignment
Author: Ron

Had some running around to do yesterday, Sunday, September 17, 2017, and in my travels I saw the CN 2164 doubling up their train and getting ready to depart Battle Creek.

So I headed to Climax hoping to get a video of the train at speed. With CN's huge trains, if it's not moving at least 35 MPH, the video is way too big, and lengthy to show here.

So when I got situated at Climax and happily waiting for the CN 2164, it started to rain. It came down in buckets, but only lasted about 15 minutes, so it was just about stopped, except for a few drops, when the headlight showed up down the track a ways.

And much to my surprise, it was the CN 2142, the Battle Creek, Michigan, to South Bend, Indiana, Local Assignment, with the locomotive headed the correct direction. So the return trip on Monday will be running long hood forward, which sometimes makes it difficult to see what's out there ahead of your train.

CN 2142 West, Sunday, September 17, 2017, at about 5:00 PM. At MP 165 CN South Bend Subdivision, Climax, Michigan.

I wasn't able to wait for the CN 2164 to show up. I moved east a couple of miles hoping to catch it there, but it showed up before I could get the camera out and ready. It was getting dark, still a lot of clouds making the light bad. Oh well!

Ron

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 09/18/17 18:38
Re: Battle Creek, Michigan, to South Bend, Indiana, Local Assignm
Author: FiveChime

Nice! We rarely hear Nathan P3 horns in the west anymore. Was standard horn for the Southern Pacific.

Regards, Jim Evans

Date: 09/18/17 18:44
Author: jim6300loco

Neat!

Date: 09/18/17 20:13
Author: Ron

I guess the CN 2142 was born as the ATSF 814, in April, 1992.

Ron

Date: 09/18/17 21:20
Author: dschlegel

Nice video, that's one heckuva local!!
Dan

Posted from iPhone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/17 21:20 by dschlegel.

Date: 09/19/17 06:19
Author: DLM

Nice video. I wish I could install the audio portion of the video into my alarm clock.

Lots of lumber is unloaded around Edwardsburg, MI and just over the Indiana state line.

Date: 09/19/17 07:24
Author: trainsfireengine

53 cars for all you car counters.

Date: 09/19/17 07:30
Author: goneon66

great video.....

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0374 seconds