Home Open Account Help 262 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Heat patrol...in Ohio in late September? Jewett, Ohio.

Date: 09/25/17 18:20
Heat patrol...in Ohio in late September? Jewett, Ohio.
Author: Forever-Railfan-45

Decided to try and go alone today to Brewster, Ohio; had the OVC (Ohio Valley Crud) respiratory infection for past four days and antibiotics working. Went to Brewster, Ohio first off...TC's (track cars) out like crazy today for heat patrol. Been record heat past four days; all over ninety. Just missed the Wheeling 2662 the red and yellow Kodachrome unit as she went out on a 555; Brewster to Canton, Ohio turn. Wheeling MOW gentleman then told me that the Wheeling 213 had outlawed down at Pittsburg Jct. which is by Jewett, Ohio. Never been there so I decided to try it; never got the 213 but got an Ohio Central and Wheeling and Lake Erie loaded LPG train from Hopedale, Ohio. Also was able to see what was the former NKP now the Conotton Creek Trail. Talked with a farmer and his wife for about an hour and they remember how big coal was back in that day. They are dairy and beef cattle farmers. Funny now is they said the biggest two businesses now down that way is the LGP and poultry. First and second pictures are of the OHCR eastbound and third picture is of the former NKP line now a rail to trail looking west...

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/17 21:36 by Forever-Railfan-45.

Date: 09/25/17 18:27
Re: Heat patrol...in Ohio in late September? Jewett, Ohio.

Fourth picture is of the former NKP rail to trail looking east, number five is of the OHCR line looking east; used to be PRR trackage here and were two tracks and number six is of the Wheeling and Lake Erie 301 waiting for permission from OHCR dispatch to come onto their trackage for the trip to Bowerston, Ohio where they will get back on Wheeling and Lake Erie trackage. The track that goes to the right is OHCR...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/17 18:53 by Forever-Railfan-45.

Date: 09/25/17 18:37

Number seven is of the Wheeling and Lake Erie 301 on OHCR making her way to Bowerston, Ohio; this was taken from the Ohio route 151 overpass. Number six is in some small town that I forget the name of and lastly I got bent over by the clouds at Somerdale, Ohio I believe; just south of Bolivar, Ohio. IF you ever go to Jewett be wary of the police; 45 to 35 then quickly to 25 mph. He got some woman coming out of town speeding. When I went back into town to get some water at the local gas station/mini mart (full serve gas by the way) I saw him and asked "she must have been moving for you to "pinch" her; his reply was 57/35." Plus she passed on a double yellow. He said she then got an attitude with him and I replied "that usually involves the officer being more..." She ended up with a reckless op ticket; six points in Ohio. Just be careful if you go out that way. Lot of gas pipeline construction going on. Also two LPG facilities down that way; Scio and Hopedale, Ohio. Have a good week people.

Date: 09/25/17 19:48
Author: Poker2662

Glad your trip down there wasn't a bust. Love the shot from the 151 overpass, one of my favorite shots. Pic 8 is in Scio.

Matt

Date: 09/25/17 20:32
Author: dbrcnw

Forever-Railfan-45 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
, number five is of the OHCR line
> looking east; used to be PRR trackage here and
> were two tracks

Carl,

If you took that photo from a side road just west of Jewett you have the signal bridge associated with Custer Tower.

What is Custer Tower?

If you travel north on the side road you used to take the picture you will arrive in New Rumley. New Rumley's best known former resident was a fellow by the name of George Armstrong Custer. Yep, that Custer. When it was an open tower the PRR decided to use Custer as the place name.

DaleR

Date: 09/25/17 20:48

Thanks Dale. Like when history can come into play ;)

Posted from Android

Date: 09/26/17 07:31
Author: cornerfieldhobby

Wow, you got some perfect units with the fall colors. I like those Ex. UP SD40-2's on your first photos. Also, yes your right about the heat. To warm for late September. Also, very sorry about your virus. That's serious considering it hasn't been very cool. Also hope your shoulder is doing ok.

Date: 09/26/17 07:31
Author: cornerfieldhobby

Also, I love photo 5 with that original signal bridge.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0438 seconds