Home Open Account Help 287 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Alco veteran looming out of the fog on the Falls Road

Date: 10/11/17 09:45
Alco veteran looming out of the fog on the Falls Road
Author: MC6853

I seem to be on a roll catching Alco power lately... After getting WNYP's Driftwood Turn a week ago and a steam excursion on the Buffalo Southern last weekend, I decided to try my luck on the Falls Road Railroad yesterday, 10/10/2017...

This put me in Medina, NY around 9:30 on a very foggy morning... Sitting in the lot in town, as usual, were the Medina Railroad Museum's pair of NYC E8s, numbers 4068 and 4080... Photo 1 shows the E's...

But there was something laying on the ground in front of them I'd not seen in Medina before... I can't tell this for sure because it's on RR property and I couldn't get up close, but for all the world it looks like the old Erie bracket signal that once stood on the Southern Tier line down in Attica... I was particularly stunned by this find, for that signal was removed 11 years ago, and I thought it was long gone... Since I'm not allowed to link to external sites, do a search on rrpicturearchives for older photos from Attica, NY, and you'll see the resemblance... Anyone know any details at all?

Photo #3 looks down the track in Medina; nothing coming out of the fog yet... More to come...

Date: 10/11/17 09:48
Re: Alco veteran looming out of the fog on the Falls Road

Near Gasport, we stumble into the train... Leading the charge is an old New York Central veteran on home rails, in the form of Delaware-Lackawanna RS32 #2035, sporting a pair of classic single-note Leslie A200 horns... The combination of the burbling 251 prime mover and the "bamp" horns made for a real distinctive sound...

Photo 4 shows #2035 and her decent-sized train rolling over Telegraph Road in Royalton, NY...

Photos 5-6 show the unit chugging over Salt Works Road in Medina, NY...

More to come...

Date: 10/11/17 09:51

Photo 7 shows something I noticed was missing earlier in Medina... Behind the eight freight cars on today's train are the Medina Railroad Museum's eight NYC passenger cars, heading back home... Anyone know why they were away from Medina?

Photo 8 shows the train continuing east from Medina as the sky begins to clear up... The crew set out three cars and the eight coaches in Medina...

Photo 9 is the train passing a converted depot in Fancher, NY, now an antique store... Almost went over to buy that crossbuck they have on sale out front...

More to come...

Date: 10/11/17 09:52

Last three...

Photo 10 shows #2035 easing into Brockport, where it will set out the reefer and run around the tank cars, bringing them back west...

Photo 11 is from east of Holley, NY...

Photo 12 is by the classic NYC stone milepost in Medina, NY...

Thanks for viewing!

Date: 10/11/17 13:27
Author: pismopete

Nice, glad you were able to make the fog disappear!

Peter Arnold

Date: 10/12/17 04:42
Author: Pattenburg

MC6853 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Photo 7 shows something I noticed was missing
> earlier in Medina... Behind the eight freight cars
> on today's train are the Medina Railroad Museum's
> eight NYC passenger cars, heading back home...
> Anyone know why they were away from Medina?
>

On Saturday the Medina RR Museum had two excursion trains that used those coaches. Here is the link to my thread about them.

https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?10,4393793

Date: 10/12/17 20:29

Thank you for the info!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0546 seconds