Home Open Account Help 301 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Back to Dawson, PA. & the Keystone Sub

Date: 12/13/17 07:09
Back to Dawson, PA. & the Keystone Sub
Author: jmbreitigan

I wanted go back and try and get a few photos from the other side of the two main tracks that go through Dawson, PA. While exploring River road in Dawson I came across a set of signals. I have heard eastbound trains call "clear Dawson" before coming into Dawson and now know what they where referring to. Not being well versed in this en-devour I am always learning. I think I got a few decent photos I would like to share, so here we go.

The dates for these 3 photos is 10-31-17

1. I wanted to work the old First National Bank (built 1897) into a photo but as you can see there are poles and a pile of gravel that I had to work with. Soon after finding a decent angle the clouds moved in so I went with a B&W conversion. Here CSXT #101 leads a mixed manifest of 80 cars eastbound on track 2.

2. Several hours later, driving down River road on the west side of Dawson, PA. we see CSXT #532 with 30 hoppers headed eastbound on track 1 at the "Dawson" signals at MP 277.3

3. Same location with some sun. Q138 inter-modal heads eastbound with 109 cars.

More photos to follow............

Date: 12/13/17 07:24
Re: Back to Dawson, PA. & the Keystone Sub

4. Another photo of Q138 at MP 277.3. Date 10-31-17

5. A little further west past the signals at MP 277.3 we see CSXT# 873 with 89 covered hoppers headed eastbound on track #1.

6. Back to Dawson on 11-04-17 it is early morning with the sun burning off the last remnants of fog. A big pine tree has mostly blocked the morning sun to my right. I took a photo for reference and waited for a westbound. But to no avail. I am glad to took this photo because on several more trips I was never to get this scene. If you look closely at the center window in the center structure in the roof-line you may see something in the window but it soon disappeared. On a later trip I was able to use my big zoom to actually see what it was.

Stay tuned, more photos to come...........

Date: 12/13/17 07:41

7. After watching the sun climb over the big pine in photo 6. I decided to move down and try for another shot of working the old first National bank into a photo. Soon Q138-03 appeared headed eastbound on track 2 with 99 cars.

8. Back down to that yellow house. With the sun up over that big pine I had to change my angle which was not what I was after but I took a photo anyway.

9. 11-08-17 finds us back at that yellow house. Clouds moved in but I was able to find out what was going on in that center window with my big zoom lens. It is former B&O trackage so I assume the cat is not related the the Chessie cat : )

Three more photos to follow...............

Date: 12/13/17 07:49
Author: Lackawanna484

Thanks for all the pictures from a fascinating area. The mansions and that wonderful bank building hint of a time when that was a wealthy region of the country.

Date: 12/13/17 07:51

10. The next day 11-09-17 we are back at the yellow house in Dawson, PA. Another try but not quite like that first photo. But I was able to get another house and more of the track due to some cloud cover. CSXT# 567 leads Q137-08 west on track #1 with 92 cars.

11. 11-20-17 finds us back at Dawson, PA. to try and incorporate another house into a photo. Q276 leads 85 loaded auto-rack cars east on track #2

12. Some of the older MP signs can be seen along the Keystone Sub if you look just to the left of the newer MP 276 sign you may notice the older concrete one with P 52 on it. 52 miles to Pittsburgh, PA. On the other side was B 276. 276 miles to Cumberland, MD. I assume.

Thanks for looking,
John M Breitigan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/17 13:48 by jmbreitigan.

Date: 12/13/17 09:03
Author: bridgeportsub

Great shot John.

Randy

Date: 12/13/17 10:23
Author: refarkas

Great images especially the black and white one.
Bob

Date: 12/13/17 13:01
Author: Cole42

Should be 276 miles to Baltimore. I believe miles began at Mt Clare and went via the Old Main Line to Cumberland and west.

Date: 12/13/17 13:48

Cole42 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Should be 276 miles to Baltimore. I believe miles
> began at Mt Clare and went via the Old Main Line
> to Cumberland and west.

Thank you for the correction.
John

Date: 12/14/17 03:56
Author: NSSpike

John like the way you work on photo composition in your series here, Really nice work!!!

Phil Maton
Villa Rica, GA

Date: 12/14/17 06:30
Author: SCKP187

Nice photos John. Especially like the location in #2, as well as others. Nice vriety.
Brian Stevens

Date: 12/14/17 16:27
Author: agrafton

Great images John, agree the B&W pretty cool !!

Date: 12/15/17 02:41
Author: SDP40F600

Nice photographs, John.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0673 seconds