Home Open Account Help 318 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > What is "Hunter Camp"?

Date: 12/15/17 11:51
What is "Hunter Camp"?
Author: Lackawanna484

I assume it is a pep talk, orientation, here is how we do things workshop.

Are supervisors, shop foremen, collectively bargained workers invited? Or just managers?

Posted from Android

Date: 12/15/17 12:05
Re: What is "Hunter Camp"?
Author: Shortline

No one is invited to Hunter Camp. You're directed. (or so I would assume....)

Date: 12/15/17 12:35
Author: BRAtkinson

Perhaps this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLnmA653f94

Date: 12/15/17 13:15
Author: WLE2679

http://www.progressiverailroading.com/class_is/article/Postcard-from-Hunter-Camp-Hunter-Harrison-preaches-his-how-we-do-what-we-do-why-gospel-to-CNs-next-generation-leaders--13436

Total B.S. class basically. Some of the things Harrison says in here obviously he doesn't follow.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/17 13:28 by WLE2679.

Date: 12/15/17 14:55
Author: kgmontreal

Hunter Camp in the CN days included a promise to run 80 mph freight trains. The reality being that during his reign freight train speeds decreased.

KG

Date: 12/15/17 21:10
Author: JLinDE

1. "Hunter's camps" were described in Fred Frailey's recent Trains mag op-ed piece he writes every month. I suggest you read it if you want to know what they are like.

2. 80mph freight trains? Unlikely, as I've recently said; a departed friend that designed and had freight cars built to his designs told me years ago the common three piece truck underneath North American freight cars is essentially limited to 70mph. Yes, Santa Fe got away with higher speeds for their short Super-C trains, also covered in Trains or Classic Trains recently. In Europe, freight trains do go 80mph or more, especially those with intermodal freight. But they are usually a half mile long or less, and pulled by powerful electric locos that do not rely on slack action to get a train moving. With the buffers they use, the entire freight train is started at once. It is an entirely different approach to freight (and passenger) railroading. Hunter will not produce any 80mph freight trains on this continent, from his "camps" or by any of his past methods of running railroads.

Date: 12/15/17 21:22
Author: JLinDE

In addition, I neglected to say that the high speed European freight cars are built with trucks 'bogies' designed for high speeds, and they also carry much less gross weight than in N America. That makes a big difference when you go fast.

Date: 12/16/17 14:03
Author: smittytimes

Brainwashing.

Date: 12/16/17 16:10
Author: algoma11

A wake at this point!

Mike Bannon
St Catharines, ON

Date: 12/17/17 18:01
Author: garr

Sounds similar to the Brosnan camps at Almond in the Nantahala Gorge. Except Brosnan actually knew how to achieve generic growth instead of EHH's returns thru cutting low hanging fruit only.

Jay

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0358 seconds