Home Open Account Help 243 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > NS plans 4 mainline capacity improvement projects

Date: 01/13/18 04:39
NS plans 4 mainline capacity improvement projects
Author: JPB

Per Friday's Trains Magazine on-line article "CN to boost capital spending, add capacity", NS presented at the 2018 National Railroad Construction & Maintenance Association conference that it "plans four major projects to add mainline capacity, in Buechel, Ky; Vermillion, Ohio; Charleston, S.C.; and Fort Wayne, Ind. The railroad will expand intermodal capacity in Kansas City, Mo.; Maple Heights, Ohio; and Calumet Yard in Chicago."

No details are given in the article but I'm guessing the Vermillion project is the "reverse connection" between ex-NYC main and ex-NKP main ( http://www.progressiverailroading.com/norfolk_southern/article/Norfolk-Southern-pours-capital-sweat-equity-into-its-new-Premier-Corridor--49060 ) "...Involving the construction of less than a mile of track, the reverse connection will enable trains bound for Buffalo, N.Y., and points in New England to avoid busy Chicago Line traffic around downtown Cleveland..." This project was to have been constructed in 2017 but didn't get very far.

URL to Trains Magazine article: http://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/2018/01/12-nrc-for-friday

Date: 01/13/18 06:17
Re: NS plans 4 mainline capacity improvement projects
Author: RayH

Would love to know their plans for Charleston since it's effectively a long single track branch line.

Date: 01/13/18 06:36
Author: halfmoonharold

The Trains article was blocked. I don't understand why it would be called a "reverse connection". It IS the opposite of the existant one, but that name seems like it will only confuse people. As for the delayed construction, maybe they were putting off some costs into the next year, while waiting for the completion of the Portageville, NY bridge construction.

Date: 01/13/18 07:02
Author: bluesboyst

Buechel KY....now I think that used to be two tracks back in the day....be interesting to see what they are going to do there

Date: 01/13/18 07:55
Author: Lackawanna484

Nothing between Atlanta and Birmingham?

Posted from Android

Date: 01/13/18 08:21
Author: Viewliner2_Supporter

They already expanded Austell/ Chamblee Yard ! They added a 2nd siding near Austell and put more yard tracks !

Posted from iPhone

Date: 01/13/18 08:24
Author: Viewliner2_Supporter

RayH Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Would love to know their plans for Charleston
> since it's effectively a long single track branch
> line.

I wish they would put it some more yard track in @ Greer,SC ! That place gets congested when NS 237 & P74 build/work the inland port

Posted from iPhone

Date: 01/13/18 12:48
Author: sums007

And I wish they'd buy District 2 on PAR.

Date: 01/13/18 13:08
Author: wabash2800

Fort Wayne is listed. What is NS going to do there? Fix bottleneck(s)? Overpass, Underpass, Expand Yard?

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/18 13:25 by wabash2800.

Date: 01/13/18 13:53
Author: Foamductor

It will be interesting to see how NS plans on expanding Maple Heights (Cleveland Ohio), its basically shoe-horned into that neighborhood.

Date: 01/13/18 14:38
Author: PRR_4859

As far as the Vermillion Connection, wasn't there a limit on how many trains could run on the former NKP through Cleveland? I thought there was an agreement made at the time of the Conrail split with the towns along that line.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/18 03:51 by PRR_4859.

Date: 01/14/18 02:02
Author: JPB

sums007 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And I wish they'd buy District 2 on PAR.

First NS needs to buy the other 50% of District 3 (ie, PAS)!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/18 04:27 by JPB.

Date: 01/14/18 03:57
Author: PRR_4859

I was hoping they would upgrade some lines down south with CTC.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0375 seconds