Home Open Account Help 311 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Taking Movies close to the tracks

Date: 01/16/18 01:20
Taking Movies close to the tracks
Author: ClubCar

I love to look at all the outstanding videos that many of you post here on Trainorders. This is one of the main reasons why I enjoy being a member since I cannot get out there alongside the railroads like I used to do. But I cannot help but wonder, when you all are standing so close to the tracks, especially with fast moving trains going by, do you ever think or consider that if a derailment would occur, could you get out of the way in time? I personally know that I could not run that fast anymore for sure. Your thoughts?
John in White Marsh, Maryland

Date: 01/16/18 02:40
Re: Taking Movies close to the tracks
Author: dcfbalcoS1

And NEVER swing around and video and only pay attention to the train going away from you too.

Date: 01/16/18 03:04
Author: dschlegel

I rarely take video but when I do I now use my phone.
When doing so I love my phone on something sturdy like a rock or fence and then walk backwards so I can observe the train and/or take photos safely.
Dan

Posted from iPhone

Date: 01/16/18 05:07
Author: steamfan

In a nutshell -- tripod mounted video. If I lose a camera, so be it...

John R -- CP Spring
Carlisle, PA

Date: 01/16/18 12:47
Author: onblock

Imagine seeing this coming at you at 50 mph; and the train was on the second track over rather than the closest one.

Date: 01/16/18 19:48
Author: toledopatch

Derailments are rare things. Someone standing by a grade crossing is at much greater risk of being hit by an errant automobile than they are of being struck by a derailment.

In other words, I don't worry about it. I do look out for dragging equipment, though -- especially loose steel strapping on steel or lumber loads.

Date: 01/16/18 20:13
Author: Ron

I think something like this is an example of why you should not be standing too close to the tracks when a train is passing by.

I take a lot of videos, and with very few exceptions, if it seems like the camera and photographer are too close to the tracks, there is a pretty good chance that the camera was attached to a pole or a sign and that I'm standing way back from the tracks.

I've always tried to tell people about being too close to a passing train. One thing I do point out is the faster the train is moving, the farther away from the tracks you should be.

Ron

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0307 seconds