Home Open Account Help 365 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > NS monster freights

Date: 02/09/18 18:00
NS monster freights
Author: P

Has NS cooled off on running the monster trains it started running last year? I live next to the Dayton (OH) District and have not seen any DPU trains in some time - probably since before Christmas.

Overall, the traffic has been light during that time. Perhaps that could be part of the reason why I haven't seen any DPU. i.e. not enough traffic to wait to tie 2 trains together. What is it like elsewhere around the system where they added DPU to merchandise freights last year?

Date: 02/09/18 18:25
Re: NS monster freights
Author: NSTopHat

Here in the southeast, NS often runs 154, Birmingham to Linwood as a DPU train. I know it ran this past Tuesday with mid train DPU.

Regards
Russ

Date: 02/10/18 05:08
Author: SOUCF25

Back to the future! SOU and NS ran 154 with mid-train helpers. They lasted on NS into the early '90's.

Date: 02/10/18 21:23
Author: JLinDE

SOU was running 200 car freights in the 1960's with what was then called by a derogative term but I'll change that to remote units mid-train. I saw a few of them. They were so far ahead of times and things to come!

Date: 02/12/18 11:12
Author: knotch8

I don't think that "slave unit" is a derogatory term, nor was it meant as one at the time.

Any more than most houses today still have a "master" bathroom or suite, although a few realtors have taken to calling them "owners'" bathroom or suite.

Date: 02/13/18 19:27
Author: NSDTK

try running 240 cars with only 3 units on the head end

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0362 seconds