Home Open Account Help 256 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > A few from the Keystone State this past weekend

Date: 02/12/18 16:56
A few from the Keystone State this past weekend
Author: BaltimoreOhio

My wife and I live in Cincinnati, and were regulars at The Tunnel Inn until it closed to the public several years back. I'm pleased to report it has re-opened and we jumped at the chance this past weekend to make a return visit. In #1 I was treated to this freight departing Rook Yard outside of Pittsburgh. I rode an excursion over this bridge back in 1999 or so but had never actually seen a train passing over it. In #2, I caught this westbound from above the tunnels. Couldn't move to the right and get away from the tree branch due to a snow pile. Picture 3 was taken from our room at the Tunnel Inn. If you haven't stayed there I can't recommend it enough.

Date: 02/12/18 17:02
Re: A few from the Keystone State this past weekend

Sometimes you just get lucky. I had planned on stopping at Carneys Crossing, but I didn't like the look of the mud/snow. So instead we proceeded to Lilly, and I ended-up catching my first-ever triple meet. The coal train in #4 arrived first. A few moments later, it was overtaken by the tank train in #5. A few moments after that, a westbound raced by me (I wasn't that close to the rail, that's the zoom lens) and I'd say all three were passing by for maybe 20 seconds or so.

Date: 02/12/18 17:08

In #7 we caught an eastbound underneath the signal bridge at Summerhill. #8 and #9 show show the eastbound PENNSYLVANIAN passing through Cresson. I made #8 black & white, but it wouldn't have mattered much if it was in "color" on such a gray, foggy day. In #9 it looks like the old signals aren't long for this world. Thanks for looking!

Date: 02/13/18 01:10
Author: ClubCar

Nice photos. In your first photo, is that bridge one that used to belong to the former Western Maryland Railway whereby the Pittsburgh & West Virginia Railroad used to also cross over it at times? I remember a bridge that used to actually have the name of Western Maryland on it.
John in White Marsh, Maryland

Date: 02/13/18 03:01
Author: DubyaM

If that train is departing Rook yard then the bridge is P&WV/N&W.

Date: 02/13/18 04:37
Author: ClubCar

DubyaM Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If that train is departing Rook yard then the
> bridge is P&WV/N&W.
You are correct and I had it backwards as it was the Pittsburgh & West Virginia R.R. that was spelled out on that bridge and the Western Maryland used to go over it to interchange with the P&WV. Thanks for your information.
John in White Marsh, Maryland

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0586 seconds