Home Open Account Help 343 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Bumblebee in the Ginkgos

Date: 02/16/18 21:46
Bumblebee in the Ginkgos
Author: z-trains

My son and I had the opportunity to travel to Pittsburgh in the last days of summer in 2017. As part of our trip, we wanted to be sure to see trains in the trench at CP Penn since so many fantastic shots have been taken there. While it wasn't quite the right time of year for Fall colors, it still was on our bucket list. Since we would only be there for a day and a half, we thought the chances of us seeing an NS heritage unit leading were slim to none especially since we had just missed the Virginian heading west the day before. Coming from the west coast where railroad distances are so much greater, it was a shock to us that the next day the Virginian was already headed back from Chicago through Pennsylvania on the point of an intermodal. So we rushed to Conway from our hotel and waited on the ever popular bridge on the south end for the train to show up. Unfortunately, NS 22W was about 10 minutes too early to avoid the shadows so we decided to try to beat it down to CP Penn. Since it was a Sunday, traffic was minimal and we had just enough time to park and run to the bridge over the trench. Not being familiar with operations through here, I ran too far across the bridge and was left with what I thought at the time was a disappointing angle of the Virginian heritage unit peaking around the corner. I shoot film still and decided to waste only one frame on this botched operation. In hindsight, the shadows contrasting with the yellow, red and white of the locomotive made for a surprising shot. For video of our trip to Washington DC and Pittsburgh, please visit my son's YouTube page, RailfanJunction.

Thanks for looking!

Cheers,

Paul

Date: 02/17/18 06:12
Re: Bumblebee in the Ginkgos
Author: jmbreitigan

Nice to see you get some sun on the nose of the HU.
John

Date: 02/17/18 13:49
Author: RuleG

A very nice photo at one of my favorite hometown locations (West Park in Pittsburgh's North Side) for railfanning.

Date: 02/17/18 17:29
Author: bobk

Nice catch and shot!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0519 seconds