Home Open Account Help 290 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > NS Inman Yard & The View At CP Cobb

Date: 02/20/18 03:17
NS Inman Yard & The View At CP Cobb
Author: NSSpike

Sunday morning was as good as it gets weather wise so I headed east into the “Belly Of The Beast”. Have learned over the years to set aside Sunday mornings for travel into the downtown Atlanta area as there is little to no traffic. That is of course if the Falcons are not playing a home game.

Had heard that CSX Tilford Yard was not same as crews were removing tracks left and right through the center of the old yard. Made a quick short post on TO Sunday evening with a couple of photos. https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?2,4490590

A stop on the overpass of the NS Inman Yard netted a couple of photos as there were a few trains working the IM rail hi-way. Then as I headed back to the north I noticed a rather large set of MOW camp cars set up at the tank farm just north of the yard.

#1. The view off the Marietta Road overpass NS 154 (BIRMINGHAM, AL - LINWOOD, NC) is tied down on the #2 main on the western edge of the yard.

#2. The view deep into Inman Yards car and locomotive shops. Plenty of UP power around!!!

#3. From the Bolton Road overpass just north of Inman yard sits a rather large set on MOW camp cars. NS 265 (ATLANTA, GA - MEMPHIS, TN (BNSF QAUGLAC) stacks are heading north on main track #2 with CP Bridge just around the bend.

...more to follow...

Phil Maton
Villa Rica, GA

Date: 02/20/18 03:18
Re: NS Inman Yard & The View At CP Cobb

#4. The view at CP Bridge, Parrott Ave. Road, called the “Chattahoochee Road Crossing” as the road is just south of the river. On the house track sit the MOW camp cars. For reference, track order is #2 main, #1 main & run around track. The north bound signals control #2 main and run around track. The next north bound signal is across the river at Jackmac.

#5. NS 275 (SHELBYVILLE, KY-ATLANTA,GA) holds the #2 main just south of the river. In the background a pair of GP33ECO units with a cut of empty hoppers occupy the Magnolia lead from the Argos USA cement plant.

...more to follow....

Phil Maton
Villa Rica, GA

Date: 02/20/18 03:20

Years ago NS added a 10,560ft siding off the #2 mainline south of Austell with the north end called Cobb and the south end being Mabelton. Somewhere in the middle are the double mainline crossovers at Lowe. The south end offers a good morning view of south bounders back to the north at the Barnes Hardware store. For north bound photos not many places except back toward Austell. The tracks through the area are lined with tall hardwoods and pines but I was determined to get a couple of photos of north bound trains at CP Cobb. Hardwoods are already budding out and soon the area will be in total shade and perhaps by mid April late afternoon shots will work for north bound trains. So I found a way before the brush takes over to take a few photos at CP Cobb.

#6. North bound NS 288 (ATLANTA, - GA / DETROIT, MI) on the #1 main at CP Cobb.

#7. North bound NS 265 (ATLANTA, GA - MEMPHIS, TN (BNSF QAUGLAC) on the #2 main at CP Cobb.

Phil Maton
Villa Rica, GA

Date: 02/20/18 05:41
Author: jmbreitigan

Very nice. I like your framing in photos #5 & 6.
John

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/18 05:42 by jmbreitigan.

Date: 02/20/18 06:38
Author: SCKP187

Nice bunch of shots--especially like #6.
Brian Stevens

Date: 02/20/18 12:09
Author: ns1000

Thanks for the pics.....especially of Inman Yard.

Date: 02/21/18 18:13
Author: VFPNSFAN

Really nice, thanks for posting

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.049 seconds