Home Open Account Help 207 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Blue Barns at Bodfish

Date: 03/18/18 10:23
Blue Barns at Bodfish
Author: cn6218

I slipped into Maine last weekend between nor'easters to participate in the annual Readfield slide show. One of the objectives of my trip was to try and see Central Maine & Quebec's newest acquisition, AC4400CW 1006. On Saturday morning I staked out the old section house at Bodfish, 21 miles west of Brownville Jct. on the former Canadian Pacific main line, tuned the scanner to CMQ's dispatch channel, and made myself comfortable.

At about 11:00, the crew of CMQ Job 1 got their clearance to leave Brownville Jct. and head west to Jackman. Track speed is 25 mph maximum, but it's up grade to where I was, and it was 12:25 by the time 3 SD40-2Fs and the 1006 finally appeared.

Since I was shooting video, I stayed until the full train had gone by, but I was still able to beat them to Greenville for the overhead shot at the west end of the former Kyleton siding (2nd image). The train carried right on through to Jackman without any stops, and after shooting them at several locations, I took off for the show in Readfield.

GTD

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 03/18/18 11:14
Re: Blue Barns at Bodfish
Author: WM_1109

I don't live in Maine, but I do visit once a year, so I'm at least generally familiar with the locations. You knocked down some serious miles, and well out of your way if you wanted to end up in Readfield. Thanks for your effort, Geoff--really enjoyed the video and photos, .
-Ted

Date: 03/18/18 11:30
Author: rev66vette

That's a really nice-size train...is that the usual size?

Date: 03/18/18 11:44
Author: goneon66

great video. i really enjoyed it and thanks for showing the entire train.........

Date: 03/18/18 12:19

Theowhitey Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You knocked down some serious miles,
> and well out of your way if you wanted to end up
> in Readfield.

Yes, I surprised myself a bit when I decided it was time to leave Jackman for Readfield, and the GPS told me it would take two and a quarter hours!

GTD

Date: 03/18/18 12:23

rev66vette Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That's a really nice-size train...is that the
> usual size?

I'm not sure what "usual" is, although Saturday's train was 80+ cars. On Tuesday, they had a similar number, with 2 barns, an SD40 and 2 GP38s for power. Apparently they've been having trouble with cooked traction motors on all the SDs. The hope is that the AC units will alleviate that.

GTD

Date: 03/18/18 15:08
Author: kgmontreal

Good work.

KG

Date: 03/19/18 05:56
Author: ns1000

Very nice..!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0478 seconds