Home Open Account Help 299 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Great Miami & Scioto - former

Date: 03/18/18 18:12
Great Miami & Scioto - former
Author: P

Was exploring their SE Ohio lines this weekend. Overall, the track is in very good shape, although I believe their tracks to be a collection of various predecessor lines. A lot of trackwork going on and a lot of new ties on the property. Specifically, there seems to be a restoration of a spur in Jackson that has been OOS for a while. There are several possible shoppers on that spur. Can anyone tell me if something is lined up to start shipping off of that spur.

Also a lot of trackwork towards Red Diamond which already has CWR. At Austin Powder, the line dead ends and an Illinois Terminal painted Geep looks like It is regularly used within the large, fenced in property. Are they a shipper, or receiver of rail cars?

Posted from Android

Date: 03/19/18 05:15
Re: Great Miami & Scioto - former
Author: CGTower

The lines you are referring to are portions of the Parkersburg and Portsmouth Subdivision of the B&O railroad. The line was purchased by the City of Jackson in the late 1980's as Chessie was retreating from that area.

Initially operated by the Indiana & Ohio, the line has seen several operators. Now it is operated by Ohio South Central. They have a very smart looking roster of geeps including the one you saw at Red Diamond.

The line in Jackson is being rebuilt for a large food processing facility in Jackson, that line was the former B&O line into Jackson (thanks Powell Wye for the correction).

In addition, Red Diamond is also getting more traffic, hence the tie replacement project.

Hope this helps,

CG Tower

P Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Was exploring their SE Ohio lines this weekend.
> Overall, the track is in very good shape, although
> I believe their tracks to be a collection of
> various predecessor lines. A lot of trackwork
> going on and a lot of new ties on the property.
> Specifically, there seems to be a restoration of
> a spur in Jackson that has been OOS for a while.
> There are several possible shoppers on that spur.
> Can anyone tell me if something is lined up to
> start shipping off of that spur.
>
> Also a lot of trackwork towards Red Diamond which
> already has CWR. At Austin Powder, the line dead
> ends and an Illinois Terminal painted Geep looks
> like It is regularly used within the large, fenced
> in property. Are they a shipper, or receiver of
> rail cars?
>
> Posted from Android

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/18 06:48 by CGTower.

Date: 03/19/18 06:37
Author: PowellWye

The line being rehabbed is the former B&O and will serve the adjacent Bellisio Foods plant when finished.

Date: 03/19/18 06:48
Author: CGTower

Oh duh, that's right...change made...not sure where my head was this morning on that one.

CG

PowellWye Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The line being rehabbed is the former B&O and will
> serve the adjacent Bellisio Foods plant when
> finished.

Date: 03/19/18 15:36
Author: P

Thanks.

That's a large frozen foods plant. Now I'm wondering if they will be shipping in food 'raw materials' or shipping out finished product? I don't know anything about the factory, but it's obvious that siding has been OOS a long time.

There is also a scrap yard and a readymix plant that could be potential rail shippers on that same siding.
Edit: the readymix facility is actually on the other side of the 'main'.

I took a few photos of the area that I may post when I have time to get them off my camera.

Date: 03/19/18 19:27
Author: NS19K

A greater accomplishment, in my opinion, would be drumming up some business on the out of service portion toward Firebrick. It's been out of service since '09 I believe.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.046 seconds