Home Open Account Help 193 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Providence P&W help

Date: 03/20/18 00:56
Providence P&W help
Author: Soo715

It looks like I'll soon need to be in Providence, RI for a couple of days. Wondering how accessible the P&W facilities are there--up in Cumberland, RI I guess. Is there any chance the road freight to Worcester runs during the day now? I only seem to be able to find information on it from almost 10 years ago, when it was an overnight turn leaving maybe around 8pm. Is this still the schedule or is it possible to catch that train during daylight? Still not running Fri and Sat eves?

Are there any other trains operating out of there in daylight hours?

Thanks for any info.

Date: 03/20/18 04:40
Re: Providence P&W help
Author: calsubd

Try here, most of what I've seen is at night, https://www.facebook.com/groups/BillsPWRR/, good luck !

Ed Stewart
Jacksonville, FL

Date: 03/20/18 05:33
Author: toledopatch

The only reliable daylight freight in Providence is the PR-3 local, which is now the maid of all work following PR-2 (which used to do the East Providence business) being abolished. It can go anywhere in the city, but goes to the Port of Providence most days. Attached is a photo of it approaching Cranston, where the port branch joins the Northeast Corridor, on Feb. 2. It has been reported that the GP38-2s will soon leave the property, further diminishing the P&W's identity as new owner Genesee & Wyoming concentrates GE power on the railroad.

The only time you'll ever see anything in Providence on the weekend is if the road train to/from Davisville, RI got way off kilter during the week or if there's an ethanol extra for the terminal in the port.

If you have the time, it's definitely worth the trouble to drive up to Worcester.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/18 05:35 by toledopatch.

Date: 03/20/18 05:34
Author: navarch2

Soo715 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It looks like I'll soon need to be in Providence,
> RI for a couple of days. Wondering how accessible
> the P&W facilities are there--up in Cumberland, RI
> I guess. Is there any chance the road freight to
> Worcester runs during the day now? I only seem to
> be able to find information on it from almost 10
> years ago, when it was an overnight turn leaving
> maybe around 8pm. Is this still the schedule or is
> it possible to catch that train during daylight?
> Still not running Fri and Sat eves?
>
> Are there any other trains operating out of there
> in daylight hours?
>
> Thanks for any info.

Oddly enough I saw the SB Worcester/Davisville train going through Woonsocket, RI last night at 945 PM....usually see the NB train then...you might take a look and join the P&W facebook group ...they posted a video this morning of the same train I saw last night.... https://www.facebook.com/groups/BillsPWRR/

Bob

Date: 03/20/18 05:36
Author: toledopatch

navarch2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Oddly enough I saw the SB Worcester/Davisville
> train going through Woonsocket, RI last night at
> 945 PM....usually see the NB train then...you
> might take a look and join the P&W facebook group
> ...they posted a video this morning of the same
> train I saw last night....
> https://www.facebook.com/groups/BillsPWRR/

The operating pattern flipped a few years ago. WODA runs south from Worcester in the evening and returns from Davisville during the wee hours. There's no more road job originating at Valley Falls (Cumberland).

Date: 03/20/18 06:54
Author: calsubd

2007 have Horn muff's to keep the snow out???

Ed Stewart
Jacksonville, FL

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0572 seconds