Home Open Account Help 314 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > C&O I guess lorain ohio

Date: 04/05/18 07:49
C&O I guess lorain ohio
Author: Notch76

Sorry about the quality this is from my phone was surprised waiting at Reid Ave in Lorain Ohio.What is the mystery of this engine its like a who done it mystery

Date: 04/05/18 07:57
Re: C&O I guess lorain ohio
Author: engineerinvirginia

Jury still out on this particular one. If you look back a few pages you'll see it and the conjecture concerning it.

Here's some fairly authoritative info....

http://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/2018/03/30-fallen-flag-logos-appear-on-former-csx-diesel

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/18 08:00 by engineerinvirginia.

Date: 04/05/18 14:01
Re: C&O I guess Loraine Ohio
Author: ClubCar

Notch76 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sorry about the quality this is from my phone was
> surprised waiting at Reid Ave in Lorain Ohio.What
> is the mystery of this engine its like a who done
> it mystery

Since the Chesapeake & Ohio Railroad no longer exists and since the locomotive no longer belongs to CSX, does anyone at CSX really care? Did CSX get rid of these symbols when they merged all their railroads into CSX? The B&O Railroad Museum uses various B&O insignia's that the railroad used to use and I'm wondering whether or not the C&O Historical Society has the rights to the C&O logos? The main thing here without getting into the legalities of all this is the locomotive no longer belongs to CSX, it has the new reporting letters under its' number so does this really matter to CSX? If so, what about all the other historic equipment that is still in operation on short lines, etc. with a fallen flag name and logo on it? Does anyone really know about genuine legal issues with this? I personally like seeing the C&O on that unit.
John in White Marsh.

Date: 04/05/18 16:41
Re: C&O I guess Loraine Ohio
Author: engineerinvirginia

CSX does try to protect marks and logos of prior roads. The various historical societies are allowed to make use of them so as to preserve the trademarks. CSX does object to this having been done to this unit, but they may grant a "temporary license" so that Progress Rail doesn't have to rush to remove the stuff. The good will that this is engendering does not damage or dilute the trademarks. Perhaps it's high time for CSX to think of doing some heritage liveries. There'd be some overlap with NS but who cares?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0359 seconds