Home Open Account Help 239 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Altoona. With a 2-year-old. In cold rain. Ideas?

Date: 04/14/18 23:07
Altoona. With a 2-year-old. In cold rain. Ideas?
Author: robbie

Hello, all!

It appears that Murphy's Law will strike yet again: With my wife needing to be at a conference in Pennsylvania for a few days, I've long had plans to take my 2-year-old daughter to Altoona instead, meeting my father out there for a couple days of daughter-dad-grandpa railfan time. We'll both be driving out from Ohio today (Sunday), have all day Monday in Altoona and a good part of Tuesday, when I'll drive on to Gettysburg to meet up again with my wife.

I'd always known that there wouldn't be any long periods trackside with a 2-year-old's attention span (I know photographers would get mad at losing lines of sight, but ever since becoming a parent, I wish there was a simple playset at the Curve track level...). So my plan had been to visit various spots on the West Slope on Monday -- Alto, the Curve, Tunnelhill, Gallitzin, AR, Cresson, Lilly, maybe Cassandra. Then on Tuesday, I'd slowly make my way southeast via Huntingdon, Mt. Union and Rockhill Furnace.

Alas, looking at the weather forecast, it appears that this whole area will get the same cold, dreary rain we've had in Ohio this weekend -- and with almost all of these spots being outdoors, I'm not sure how well they'll work. (Again, I'd be happy sitting in a car all day at different spots, but not sure about my toddler...) There's always the museum in Altoona and the Allegheny Portage museum, of course. But any other suggestions from folks more in the know about some indoor spots to railfan the Middle Division, or other railfan-friendly indoor options? It appears that the Everett RR, Altoona Model Railroad Club and Alto Model RR in Duncannon are all only open on weekends. Rockhill Trolley Museum isn't open yet and would also only operate on weekends. And the EBT is... well... not something I like to discuss... So, any other ideas would be most welcome!

Thanks!
Robbie
Perrysburg, Ohio

Date: 04/15/18 04:23
Re: Altoona. With a 2-year-old. In cold rain. Ideas?
Author: P

It sounds like you already know what you're in for and know the territory. Id say besides the museums, car interior railfanning may be the order of the day, besides whatever your daughter can stand outdoors. Have fun!

Posted from Android

Date: 04/15/18 06:07
Author: toledopatch

Ride the Johnstown Incline.

Date: 04/15/18 06:22
Author: DJ-12

Consider punting on Altoona overnight. Railfan a bit across the middle div and stay at the Bridgeview monday night so you can enjoy the trains out of the weather and your kiddo isn't stuck in the car all day. This would allow a kid friendly ride on the Strasburg on Monday and a visit to their museum. Catch a few Amtraks on their line nearby during naptime (watching trains on a known schedule is helpful with a toddler). You can also work in a visit to nearby Hershey's chocolate world on Monday (its indoors) and chocolate!

Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/15/18 06:41
Author: OHCR1551

Altoona, toddler, cold rain, been there, done that numerous times.

First of all, the museum has a kids' play room. You have a decent view trackside.
Boyer's iparking lot is trackside. When you get cold or she needs the bathroom, you can go in, warm up and buy chocolate.
Slinky Fun Zone in ...well, it's kind of in Hollidaysburg...is more for older kids, but has a good play area.
The caboose at Gallitzin is highly underrated when it comes to bad-weather fanning. The city building across the street has the museum, library and bathrooms (yeah, I talk about that a lot, but when you have a barely housebroken toddler things get urgent.) If you're at the caboose and realize you're out of something, all you need to do is cross the bridge and turn right. There's a Dollar General and a Martin gas station. Dunno if they still have good subs.
CP Vito's Pizza in Cresson is right across from the railfan park.

Second the idea of riding the Incline. You know her and know whether she'd rather be in her familiar car seat or in a backpack or stroller where she can watch. There's ice cream up at the top, but hot chocolate might go better in this weather!

She might like the big wind turbines on the ridge top.

Rebecca Morgan
Jacobsburg, OH

Date: 04/15/18 07:31
Author: RuleG

toledopatch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ride the Johnstown Incline.

If you do go to Johnstown, in addition to riding the Incline (a worthwhile ride) here are museums to visit:

Johnstown Heritage Discovery Center (not open on Mondays) - History of immigrants and industry in Johnstown with a children's section on the third floor.

Johnstown Flood Museum (not open on Mondays)

Johnstown Flood National Memorial (outside of Johnstown in St. Michael and South Fork). The memorial is at the site of the dam which burst causing the flood and has a well-done visitors center/museum. The website advises visitors to call (814) 886-6170 to ensure it is open during inclement weather.

Relationship of the flood to railroading: The Pennsylvania Railroad experienced major damage due to the flood and played a key role in relief efforts.

Date: 04/15/18 08:37
Author: milepost180

I agree with Gallitzin. Caboose small park and a place to get all the action. It has enough distractions. Each train passing can be the high point of playing in the park. Anticipation because you can see the EB coming for some time. Surprise for the 2 year old when a trains pops out of the tunnel WB. Your 2 year old may be the thing you need when she pleads with Mom to go train watching! Keep her in the car during the rain and train watching may be infrequent.

Date: 04/15/18 09:41
Author: robbie

Thanks, everyone! And yes, Daddy has already gotten her to want to see "the signals" (grade crossings) every time we go somwhere... :) Only problem is she's scared of horns at the moment, but hopefully she'l actually use the earmuffs we have...

Gallitzin is actually my favorite spot. Even if the museum's not open, the town hall is nice; and if the weather's not too cold, the caboose platform and play area is a plus. Anyone know how the hunting road from Tunnelhill to Benny is, after the recent rain and snow? I'll have a Honda CR-V, which usually wouldn't be a worry (I've made the drive before in my Accord on past trips). But wouldn't want to get down there only to find a washout...

And it's funny; I've parked in the Bower lot to photograph Alto for so many trips, but have never actually gone inside. This might be the time!

Strasburg is definitely in the plans for later in the week, as well. And maybe by then, we'll actually have something resembling spring!

Thanks again,
Robbie

Date: 04/15/18 16:58
Author: OHCR1551

We all forgot Benzel's! No tours now, but a kids' corner, production line cam and fresh samples straight off the belt. Giant bags of seconds (broken, who cares?) are cheap. I wouldn't give her full-size Pennysticks, though, especially in the car.
Wish the Slinky outlet store was still around. That place was fun.

Rebecca Morgan
Jacobsburg, OH

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0844 seconds