Home Open Account Help 344 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Sand Patch Stylized - A Major Tossup

Date: 04/18/18 22:22
Sand Patch Stylized - A Major Tossup
Author: Cumberland

I decided to create an image of the Chessie Steam Special going eastbound through Sand Patch, Pa. This was another Visual Blind Study of mine. One goof I intentionally made was that I used the summit sign that is here today because of the heavy contrast it has between the text and the negative space (black/white). Originally, the sign that was present when the consist would have passed by was a concrete sign with the text only engraved into it (no paint). It seemed like that appearance would have blended in with the tracks, making it much less relevant.

One question: From what I could tell from looking at numerous pictures, the #2101 locomotive utilized the Sand Patch Grade at least twice, both westbound. However, I was not able to find any images of it going eastbound on the Sand Patch Grade. Hens, making this a fictional image. Am I correct? I came across an image, taken at Salisbury, PA, of a consist going eastbound with the coaches painted with the Chessie paint scheme but with a different steam locomotive - much less photogenic.

If only I could show you the original file format, that has the rich saturation.

Matthew

Date: 04/18/18 22:48
Re: Sand Patch Stylized - A Major Tossup
Author: 757guy

Wow, that is fantastic. The variety of colors really brings it to life. Nice work, and thanks for sharing!

Date: 04/18/18 23:18
Author: holiwood

I like it

Date: 04/19/18 03:15
Author: bandob

Outstanding work!

B&OBill

Date: 04/19/18 05:24
Author: co614

Thank you Matthew for that beautiful scene. I was honored to be the hogger on her assault on the Sand Patch grade and recall fondly what a great job she did both days hauling that big train up and over the eastern continental divide.

Very nice work. Ross Rowland

Date: 04/19/18 12:58
Author: Cumberland

Thanks so much for your compliments!

Matthew

Date: 04/19/18 13:56
Author: ns1000

Very nice..!!

Date: 04/20/18 08:05
Author: Locoinsp

Great job!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0418 seconds