Home Open Account Help 232 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Baltimore to DC

Date: 05/20/18 22:37
Baltimore to DC
Author: railfannw

Im going to washigton D.C by train from Penn station in Baltimore Maryland wondering if their is any privet railroads to keep an eye out for and any freight yards an hour ride suposdedly acording to Google .

Posted from iPhone

Date: 05/21/18 05:51
Re: Baltimore to DC
Author: MEKoch

Upon leaving Baltimore Penn Station, you immediately enter the tunnel proceeding west. At the exit of the tunnel are the remains of a connecting track to the Western Maryland (long since gone-Fulton Jct.). Main Track turns southwest. Gywnn Falls Viaduct passes over the top of the former WM mainline to Port Covington. Continuing south you pass under the B&O mainline (CSX/MARC) south of Halethorpe. Then the BWI airport station. At Bowie, the Pope's Creek line heads towards southern Maryland to a power plant. At Landover the freight bypass for DC goes south, while the mainline heads west, passing under the B&O (CSX) freight line. Ivy City engine terminal will appear soon the right side of the train. Then you enter the terminal tracks for Washington Union Station. K tower is still active at the throat of the station.

Date: 05/21/18 08:28
Author: boejoe

At Bowie keep your eye open (left side of the train) for a restored Norfolk & Western (!) caboose at the restored signal tower.

Date: 05/21/18 19:00
Author: MdRailfan

I may be wrong, but I thought it was a Chessie System caboose in Bowie. I may have seen the Chessie somewhere else thou.

Date: 05/21/18 20:31
Author: JLinDE

I do not think there is any freight business left between NS's entrance to their Bayview yard east of Balto to close to Bowie. CSX still sends coal trains down the Popes Creek Branch to one, or both power plants on that branch, some of the few that are left still burning coal. Almost all from the many others in the Northeast have been converted to gas or scrapped. This began 25 years, or more, ago. Consult a Trains magazine map from a decade or more ago that showed them all. I have a fairly good idea of which ones are gone/converted and what RR served them but not the dates of closure. Many happened 2000-2008. There is some remaining carload biz up to Bowie. It is a boring train ride; if you go on AMTK it is faster than MARC.

Date: 05/22/18 19:12
Author: tq-07fan

I do not agree with the boring train ride comment, it's a good ride if you want to experience what is considered High Speed Rail in the United States. I guess it depends on what you are in to, or if it is something you get to do often as opposed to once in a while or your first time. MARC is totally fine if you don't want to spend the extra money. They used to get up to 125 when they ran electric power, I have no idea how fast they run now with diesels. I do agree though, if you can though ride on an Accela to get the most speed out of the trip.

One other thing of interest look for the station signs on station building at Odenton on the west side of the tracks, it should still have the Pennsylvania Railroad Keystone style station sign.

Jim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/18 19:17 by tq-07fan.

Date: 05/22/18 20:24
Author: JLinDE

I was comparing it to the NEC ride from Wilmington on AMTK or even MARC Perryville to Balto where you cross three major water courses, go by freight yards, and might even see a freight train. And it is faster; stations further apart. But if all the post person can do then I hope he enjoys the ride.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0319 seconds