Home Open Account Help 302 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > NS congratulated on hauling steel slabs

Date: 06/13/18 16:11
NS congratulated on hauling steel slabs
Author: jgilmore

Here's an operation I must've missed because I didn't know they were hauling so many slabs so far. Sounds like the customer is pleased with the service:

http://usa.arcelormittal.com/news-and-media/our-stories/2018/jun/06-05-2018

Calvert is a huge finishing plant that used to receive their slabs from Brazil through Mobile (maybe still do?), and much of the steel goes to southern auto plants I'm sure. Appears to be a daily or near-daily train with 6 trainsets in rotation. Does anyone know the NS symbol or operating details, frequency, routing....? TIA for any replies.

JG

Date: 06/13/18 17:07
Re: NS congratulated on hauling steel slabs
Author: NSTopHat

Probably takes a couple of different trains to get there, 384 runs btw Mobile and Irondale (Birmingham) and then would run to Bellevue and then over to Elkhart or Calumet, and then out on a local.

Russ

Date: 06/13/18 17:28
Author: jst3751

NSTopHat Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Probably takes a couple of different trains to get
> there, 384 runs btw Mobile and Irondale
> (Birmingham) and then would run to Bellevue and
> then over to Elkhart or Calumet, and then out on a
> local.
>
> Russ

I highly doubt that. It was more likely a unit train being the time sensitve nature of it.

Date: 06/13/18 17:32
Author: ActionMike

Whoa, 6 trainsets that equal 150 miles... Something is wrong with that math. Hunter would be proud!

"The artwork on the t-shirts symbolizes the circular train route which runs 24/7, 365 days per year, hauling slabs from Indiana Harbor to Calvert. Ninety car unit trains – six of them – continually move between the two plants. For perspective, if placed ended to end, the rail cars would stretch 150 miles."

Posted from Android

Date: 06/13/18 18:39
Author: florida581

60C is the loaded unit train and 61C is the empty.

Andrew

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0298 seconds