Home Open Account Help 326 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > On the earliest morning of the year, a little color

Date: 06/21/18 12:10
On the earliest morning of the year, a little color
Author: march_hare

Holding the main at Delanson, NY this morning, a northbound NS auto rack train (with a single well car and a single domestic container at the very end. a mile and a half back). A CIT former BN Whiteface SD60 is on the point, with CN and NS power behind.

Date: 06/21/18 12:19
Re: On the earliest morning of the year, a little color

And tucked in behind him at Gage Road, another northbound mix of auto racks and COFC, this time about a 50:50 mix. This guy had evidently outlawed--no visible crew on board.

Abundant evidence of the ongoing maintenance blitz is all around. A big pile of ties, empty spike buckets, and that odd mix of colors in the newly installed ties. Roughly 50:50 mix of creosote and green pressure treated ties.

A gorgeous early morning, and a pleasant diversion on the way to work. Only 86 more days 'til I don't have a morning commute any more....

I'll still get to see trains, though!

Date: 06/21/18 13:50
Author: JPB

Excellent captures!

Q: Has CWR been installed on the siding at Delanson? When I was up that way in mid-May before the track gang arrived, the siding was still stick rail. From your photos, it looks like the stick rail has not been replaced (yet).

Posted from iPhone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/18 13:51 by JPB.

Date: 06/21/18 14:25

Main is CWR, siding is sticks, with no sign that they're planning on changing that.

Date: 06/21/18 16:28
Author: Ray_Murphy

Except the earliest sunrise this year was about a week ago!

http://earthsky.org/tonight/earliest-sunrises-before-june-solstice-jupiter-venus

Ray

Date: 06/22/18 07:21

Ray_Murphy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Except the earliest sunrise this year was about a
> week ago!
>
> http://earthsky.org/tonight/earliest-sunrises-befo
> re-june-solstice-jupiter-venus
>
>
> Ray

Point taken. An outdoors guy like me should have known that.

But there's still some distinction to be had. That second train was still sitting there at sunset when I went home last night. So it sat through the entire day, which was indeed the longest day of the year. (I have no idea why they left it there all day.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/18 09:14 by march_hare.

Date: 06/22/18 08:17
Author: Ray_Murphy

march_hare Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> But there's still some distinction to be had.
> That second train was still sitting there at
> sunset when I went home last night. So it sat
> through the entire day, which was indeed the
> longest day of the year. (I have no idea why they
> left it there all day.)

Well, it was probably the longest day of the year for the crew of CP 143 last night - normally they're on the road out of Montreal between 4:30 and 5:15 PM, but last night they sat in Lachine until 6:30 while some kind of locomotive problem was fixed.

Ray

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0521 seconds