Home Open Account Help 184 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Asheville, NC Trains?

Date: 07/04/18 10:08
Asheville, NC Trains?
Author: cinder

OK folks.......Will be in Asheville for three days next week.  What is the average NS schedule for the few freights I might be able to see?

Date: 07/04/18 17:34
Re: Asheville, NC Trains?
Author: NS7214

I'm not too sure but it's not much, Id say focus on the daylight runs of watco out of canton to ash

Date: 07/04/18 22:00
Author: lapklub

Since NS got the slide fixed between Ridgecrest and Old Fort things are back to near "normal".  There is usually a 123 (or more) coming in everyday from the west.  Also usually a 744 coal train for Plant Marshall near Catawba.  Usually (about)one a day with a 745 empty also westbound fron the plant..  They usually have DKPX tubs.   The loads usually depart before 9am in the summer because of heat restrictons on the mountain going down to Old Fort.  The 123's can go anytime.  P89/P69 is the Yard job and work some of the local industries. Sometimes they run as a different number.  I don't know who dreams up what number they run as on any given day. 
135 westbound usually arrives late afternoon to early evening (if they make it).   They depart Linwood usually mid day but sometimes later.  Sometimes they get heldup along the way.   They depart westbound from Asheville (to Knoxville) in the morning, usually between 8 and 11.  
Also about once or twice a week ther might be a 784 coal train for Skyland.  BLU takes it down in two cuts of about 50 cars each, usually a couple days apart. No set schedule on them, it's just whenever they show up, and when the plant is ready for them.  They usually have PGNX hoppers or a mixture of a few others mixed in, but hoppers.
​Some of the 123's have a DPU, some don't.  Lately the ones that don't have a DPU they will sometimes add a pusher as a lot of them have stalled getting out of Asheville to the east. The climb east out of Asheville isn't steep but is like several steps up to Ridgecrest. There is a pretty good little climb the first couple of miles leaving the Yard. 
​BLU 31 usually comes in from Canton usually after 10 and before 2, but as with everything else it is variable.  Sometimes they sit at Murphy Jct waiting for permission to come in.  
​Incoming trainshave to call Hayne Tower (in Spartanburg SC) to get instructions to emter the yard.  The tower is not manned any more as part of cost cutting.  For a while they called OSS (in Atlanta) for instructions.  Most of the time they had no idea who or what they were talking about.  They still call OSS but only when they are leaving or after they have arrived to let them know
what's going on.  It's almost comical sometimes to listen to them!
Hope this helps a little.
​Mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/18 22:10 by lapklub.

Date: 07/05/18 09:13

Thanks Mike for your comprehensive response!

Date: 07/05/18 09:25
Author: mully

I think I saw one of the DKPX coal trains south on the Piedmont last week around Hurt Va. would this have been a reroute ?

Gary

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/05/18 09:34
Author: dbrcnw

Is it worth driving down to Saluda? I know the grade is out of service but being this close, it might be worth seeing the grade?

I was last down there when 611 ran the hill, yes many years ago.

DaleR

Date: 07/05/18 10:42

Thanks Dale.....I actually saw a train double the hill many years ago.. Somewhere may lurk a VHS video made with a large "shoulder" camera.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/18 16:06 by cinder.

Date: 07/05/18 10:56
Author: ctillnc

I suppose if you want to see rusted rails, Saluda is as good a place as anywhere. 

Date: 07/05/18 19:45

Not sure how bad they are but there are several washouts from what I've heard.  I know people have walked it though.
​As far as the DKPX coal trains, there are several plants that Duke Energy has that they use their cars for.  Some plants use hoppers some use tubs. The Belmont trains I believe come down the Piedmont.  They used to come through Asheville. Every once in a while a train would come in as a 744 and depart as a 750(Belmont).  Not sure how much Belmont is getting these days as I think they are converting to natural gas.  But I think they are still getting a little bit of coal.  None have been through Asheville for a long while.
​Today we had Bonus!!   We had a #975 Safety Train westbound with NS 5642.  I tried to get it but got snookered.  I only had a short amount of time as I had to take my wife to a Dr appointment and I knew that I wasn't going to have enough time, and I was right I didn't!!  I heard them but never saw them.  Went by the yard later and it was getting serviced.  I heard a little bit ago that they were heading on to Knoxville later tonight.  I thought about going out tonight but I have an early day tomorrow.  Oh well, maybe next time.  They set up here last year and put on their training program for the First Responders.  I did get them then while they were here.
Mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/18 20:05 by lapklub.

Date: 07/06/18 19:57

The last couple of days here now it seems like most everything is going early in the morning, like around sunrise or earlier, even the 123's.  NS has had heat restrictions for the last several years when it gets above 80* andwhen trains are above a certain tonnage.  I've heard the number 5500 tons, but don't quote me on that.   Some of the 123's are over 100 cars, some only 30-40.  Sometimes the 123's that don't have DPUs will get pushers as they have been having problems stalling either getting out of the yard since there is a pretty good grade the first 2 miles or out about MP 132 and even about 124 to the summit at Ridgecrest.  Especially in wet weather or if one of the units decides it doesn't want to do it's part in pulling uphill.
Also on the coal trains for Duke's Plant Marshall the loads are either a 744 or 740 and the empties are 745 or 741.  They are the same equivelant on this end. It's what ever mine they go to or come from that determines the number.  I've heard one come in as a 740 and depart as a 744.  I don't know who dreams this stuff up, but someone sits in a little room with no windows and throws a dart at the board, and says "Let's see what we're going to call this one today.  They do the same thing with the Yard Job. Some days it's a P89, or P69, E28.  Lately there's also been 93Q, 91Q, P90.  Some times the E28, P90 are pusher numbers but not always.  The 91Q, 93Q have been work trains that were dumping rock  where the washouts were east of Ridgecrest.  There again I don't know who decides or dreams up who's who on any given day.
It's the Railroad.
Keeps it interesting though.
Mike

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0785 seconds