Home Open Account Help 332 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Relics of Cooperstown Junction

Date: 07/13/18 17:32
Relics of Cooperstown Junction
Author: atx_railfan

Back in July 2017 while visiting family upstate, I paid a visit to the GG1s that are rusting away in Cooperstown Junction, New York. They're in a sorry state, and frankly, are past the point of restoration. However, it's striking and almost awesome to see such majestic machines rusting away in the woods. 

Enjoy.

Date: 07/13/18 18:30
Re: Relics of Cooperstown Junction
Author: sixaxlecentury

And let it be known, neither is owned by the Museum in Cooperstown.  

Date: 07/13/18 18:51
Author: Lackawanna484

Sad

Posted from Android

Date: 07/13/18 19:03
Author: stevelv

I thought one was going to the Henry Ford Museum?

Date: 07/13/18 19:41
Author: atx_railfan

stevelv Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I thought one was going to the Henry Ford Museum?

The Ford Museum owns one, but neither CP (the previous owner of the connecting main) or NS (the current owner) will let them move it

Date: 07/14/18 06:22
Author: bluesboyst

atx_railfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> stevelv Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I thought one was going to the Henry Ford
> Museum?
>
> The Ford Museum owns one, but neither CP (the
> previous owner of the connecting main) or NS (the
> current owner) will let them move it

Why won't they let them move? 

Date: 07/15/18 05:38
Author: PlyWoody

NS will not move the GG-1 because of the size of the monsters and type of bearings  If they have a failure on the road, you better plan to build a shoo-fly around it till you can cut it up on the spot to get it off the main.  It is completely understandable why NS says NO-Way!.  Recent move off the leased CP siding during the line sale to NS involved a derailment which I had to re-rail. The C&CV enginee controling the throttle did a fantastic job at that critical time pulling the wheel back up.   Later moving these around to clear the C&CV main from where this above photograph was taken, their weight caused a run-away which forced two cars across the highway, without use of rails.  They will not leave the Junction as the C&CV track on the embankment along the lake is not strong enough to hold their weight even though the trust bridge rating will handle one GG1. The G. Village can take their apart and ship it in pieces if they like, possibly by truck.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0363 seconds