Home Open Account Help 346 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > ...Somewhere Stylized

Date: 08/01/18 22:33
...Somewhere Stylized
Author: Cumberland

Here is my latest railroad-related redition. I created it in Adobe Illustrator.

Naturally, one may automatically conclude that it resembles the Western Maryland RR's Kessler, Welton, Knobley or Pinkerton Tunnel's/river crossings. But no, it is NOT.

This time I haven't devulged what location my artwork portrays, because it is of a place that tends to be one that has not attracted many photographers, even more so to be of a common topic of discussion (from my knowledge). It is the first digital illustration that is of a place that I have not personally been to before. I want to see if there is anyone within the Trainorders community, who can apply my interpretation to his or her own past experiences and/or photos.

Also, I will informally - but happily - announce that I will be hosting an exhibition, titled COLOR on the Rails, this coming November. It will be in a gallery in Bridgewater, VA, in the Shenandoah Valley. This image will be one of the ten railroad-related images that I have created, that will be in the exhibition.

Matthew

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/18 07:39 by Cumberland.

Date: 08/02/18 04:29
Re: ...Somewhere Stylized
Author: steamfan

Looks like Graham tunnel on the B&O Magnolia cutoff...

John R -- CP Spring
Carlisle, PA

Date: 08/02/18 04:40
Author: ns1000

Very nice..!!

Date: 08/02/18 05:32
Author: PatternOfFailure

Very cool, I dig it.

Date: 08/02/18 07:27

steamfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Looks like Graham tunnel on the B&O Magnolia
> cutoff...

Nope, but you've got the "B&O" and the "Cutoff" correct!

... And thanks for the complements!

Matthew

Date: 08/02/18 08:11
Author: steamfan

Cumberland Wrote:
> steamfan Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Looks like Graham tunnel on the B&O Magnolia
> > cutoff...
>
> Nope, but you've got the "B&O" and the "Cutoff"
> correct!
>
> ... And thanks for the complements!
>
> Matthew

Patterson Creek cutoff near Cumberland??

John R -- CP Spring
Carlisle, PA

Date: 08/02/18 09:12

steamfan Wrote:
> Cumberland Wrote:
> -----
> > steamfan Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Looks like Graham tunnel on the B&O Magnolia
> > > cutoff...
> >
> > Nope, but you've got the "B&O" and the "Cutoff"
> > correct!
> >
> > ... And thanks for the complements!
> >
> > Matthew
>
> Patterson Creek cutoff near Cumberland??

Yep, you got it!

It is the Patterson Creek Cutoff, south of Cumberland, crossing the North Branch of the Potomac River.

The 'Jet' train is westbound, exiting not the WM's Knobley Tunnel but the B&O's Knobley Tunnel, bypassing Cumberland. Originally, the purpose of the cutoff was to ease congestion, enabling trains to directly link the East and West Ends as well as shaving-off 10 miles of right-of-way. It began with having double-track for its entire length. At that time, mostly coal and several passenger trains utilized the cutoff. Towards its end of life, the westbound track had been tourn-up. At that time, but not knowing if it was true, I had read that mostly 'Jet' trains, as depicted, used the cutoff. When it was entirely subject to abandonment in the late-1970s, a photo I had found showed several of the bridge's girders for the eastboud right-of-way had been removed, in addition of the rails and ties, which mistifies me to no end.

From my experience, many of the railfan's are not aware of the fact that there are, in fact, 2 Knobley Tunnels. The B&O's tunnel is almost a mile-long, with a curve in it. Typically, people are just familiar with the WM's much shorter tunnel, closer to Cumberland, I have found. I have read that the river crossing bridge is in incredebly poor condition, making it very dangerous and hard to reach by foot because of it being in private property. So, I wanted to see if I could recreate the image of what the Patterson Creek Cutoff had been like, for people to see it in action.

Matthew

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/18 12:55 by Cumberland.

Date: 08/02/18 09:38
Author: CPR_4000

I like the Seatrain containers!

Date: 08/02/18 13:28
Author: njmidland

CPR_4000 Wrote:
> I like the Seatrain containers!

Same here!  I can remember those containers stacked high in Edgewater, NJ.

Date: 08/03/18 09:11
Author: WMF7A

You did a fine job with the image in my opinion. I remember walking from McKenzie all the way through the tunnel one time. I think it was around 1985 when I did that and I probably have some pictures of the ROW, bridge and tunnel somewhere of that day. I'm thinking I read where the cut off was last used in 1974, but I don't know how long it may of laid dormant until the rails were pulled.

Jeff B.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0619 seconds