Home Open Account Help 374 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Rockville Bridge Structure Questions

Date: 08/12/18 14:44
Rockville Bridge Structure Questions
Author: pt199

After spending time in the Rockville Bridge area, I noticed vegetation growing out of the mortar 
or sides of the bridge, I wonder if this is a concern to NS engineering? Seems to me that
vegetation is growing that means water gets in there and freezes and pushes more
mortar out. I also noticed a failure in 1 of the arches in the Southeast side of the bridge,
Makes me wonder if the constant freezing and thawing contributed to that.

Date: 08/12/18 22:24
Re: Rockville Bridge Structure Questions
Author: illini73

It's been there for years and they don't seem to be concerned.  Personally, I tend to agree with your analysis.

Date: 08/13/18 04:30
Author: PlyWoody

That growth can be quickly discouraged if someone, such as a Amish contractor use a boiler on a highrail and steam those plants.  The Amish who grow tobacco in Lancaster county always steam their fields to kill any weed seeds using a boiler on a horse drawn wagon.  Steam or 210 degree water will wash off the wax surface of all leaves and the plants will dehydrate and die.  I can tell you from having those 4 tracks my supervisor's responsibility in the 1970s that the pipe line on the south side of the bridge was far more of a fear than some plant growth.  I see that the patch is weathering so it is not as evident where internal freezing damaged a section of the side wall. I wonder if the pipe line is still in service? You can not spray chemicals on the weed over the river, but steam is not a spray.

Date: 08/13/18 05:14
Author: mully

That’s so interesting thanks for sharing that

Gary

Posted from iPhone

Date: 08/13/18 08:01
Author: Gonut1

The pipe transports fuel from the tanks in Enola to the fuel racks in Harrisburg.
Gonut

Date: 08/14/18 11:47
Author: march_hare

You could do the entire bridge with 100 bucks worth of Roundup.  But that might count as a surface water application, and in some states that's a no-no.

Date: 08/14/18 13:30
Author: Chooch

I would venture to say that like most failures that occur from man built structures whether they be used by railroads or other usage that until a catastrophic failure occurs and lives are involved in an accident that it is then and only then that corrective action is taken to correct the problem. Guess we mortals will never learn from our previous mistakes.

Jim
Hatboro, PA

Date: 08/14/18 14:39
Author: PlyWoody

The plant life is moving the water out of the cracks and into the leaves where it is evaporated into the air.  The roots do the damage as does a freeze of the water inside the walls. Zero chance of using Round-up over the river, especially after the wining of a 3+ million dollar suit in California yesterday.

Date: 08/14/18 18:23
Author: wabash2800

The bridge had been repaired and reinforced in recent history. Perhaps that will happen again.

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0465 seconds