Home Open Account Help 351 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > 60MPH down to full stop 0MPH - NS 22K with N&W 8103

Date: 08/14/18 19:59
60MPH down to full stop 0MPH - NS 22K with N&W 8103
Author: cornerfieldhobby

Well this was actually kind of scary not here but for downtrack. Here was NS eastbound intermodal 22K with N&W 8103 trailing 2nd. Long story short, when he was approaching this location in Madison at Route 528, the eastbound signal was yellow even up to when he was going to pass the signal and so when going passed the signal, he was still doing track speed of 60MPH passing the yellow and only has little over 1 mile to stop for red. Well, a freind down track a few miles east in Geneva, told me that there was trackwork being done right near him in Geneva just a few miles east of this location. So in 3 minutes from 60MPH down to complete stop of 0 MPH!!! I really wonder if emergency brakes were applied. One big note, about halfway into the train, I smelled burning brakes from the intermodal well cars.

I know quite a few people probably have seens things like this, but for me, this is the first time in a stop this quick since 6+ years ago with a UP freight and it was nerveracking to me.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/18 22:27 by cornerfieldhobby.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 08/14/18 20:01
Re: Not Funny - 60MPH down to full stop 0MPH - NS 22K with N&W 81

Date: 08/14/18 20:24
Author: jointauthority

He’s a big boy, it looks like he can certainly handle his train. Might be nerve wracking and scary to you and his conductor though.
That doesn’t sound or look like emergency.
Smelling brake shoes is normal anytime you’re actually using the brakes.

Nice video

Posted from iPhone

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/18 20:25 by jointauthority.

Date: 08/14/18 20:28
Author: SNY1337

Like coming in for a station stop!

Posted from Android

Date: 08/14/18 21:38
Author: ble692

Looks like a nice controlled stop to me. Never heard the train go into emergency. Just an engineer trying to get their train over the road.

Date: 08/14/18 22:28

Thanks to everyone who replied. Yes, I totally understand what you mean to those who replied. This was the fastest non emergency stop I've seen in person though. I didn't want to elaberate, just that when in person it was fast stop.

Date: 08/15/18 05:30
Author: LORDofLOGISTICS24

that was impressive

Date: 08/15/18 06:57
Author: 3rdswitch

Definatley not emergency stop. Pretty amazing to see a stop from high speed in less than train length. Sometimes these intermodal trains are pretty light tonnage making for faster stopping distance. Good to see a hogger going Balls to the wall, my kind of engineer.
JB

Date: 08/15/18 11:31
Author: RS11

Not sure of the rules there.  I do know that on CSX it used to be at passing an approach signal immediately reduce speed to 30, preopared to stop at the next signal....or similiar wording.  At another section on CSX you would have to reduce to 30 once the approach signal was seen, prepared to stop at the next signal.  This was about 10 years ago so rules may have changed a bit.
All appears to be good to me given the info provided.  Conductor might have had a slight pucker factor, especially if he hadn't worked with said engineer.
Was once told signals were spaced far enough apart to allow for a train to stop with just a minimum reduction.  Can't remember who told me that but I never quite believed it.

Date: 08/15/18 14:09
Author: PRR1361

NS rulebook: Yellow signal, Rule N285: Approach. Proceed prepared to stop at next signal.Trains exceeding medium speed must at once reduce to that speed.
Given the length of the train, by the time he got down to medium speed, he might have seen a red "stop" ahead, and just let the application continue, bringing the train to a stop.

Date: 08/16/18 04:02
Author: dcfbalcoS1

No reason to be nerve wracking at all. Never heard the air go so I too have to assume the engineer put a set on it and came to a stop.

Date: 08/16/18 06:49
Author: LX15840

These trains can stop very quickly if need be,  From a web site I saw a intermodal moving at 35 at the Flagstaff station come to a full stop in the length of the platform after an idiot trespasser stood in front of a train until the last second. The train went into emergency for sure. After he stopped one of the crewmen quickly exited the cab and headed back to intercept the guy, however, the Amtrak agent had seen what was happening, came out and said something to the trespasser who had walked past the station entrance, the trespasser then left the scene before the crewman could confront him. She then spoke to the crewman who looked shaken....they talked for a while....eventually he got back on the train and it departed.

Date: 08/16/18 09:34
Re: 60MPH down to full stop 0MPH - NS 22K with N&W 8103
Author: HogheadMike

There was literally nothing unusual about this stop. It was controlled and consistent with good train handling.  I seriously doubt the Approach was only a mile from the red as that train was longer than a mile and most blocks are almost two miles long.  If he went from a clear to an approach to a stop (as some systems are) the block has to be over 2 miles per the CFRs on signal spacing.  Otherwise, he would have had an advanced approach at the previous signal, reducing speed to 40.  Is the terrain uphill or downhill?  If he used dynamics and 10lbs of air to stop, he could easily stop in a train length.

Date: 08/16/18 21:23
Author: atsf121

Nice video, that's some nice work by the engineer.  

Nathan

Date: 08/17/18 04:02
Author: NYC6001

Interesting load at the 1 03 mark.

Date: 08/17/18 09:27
Author: ts1457

What made this whole sequence interesting was seeing the entire stop take place, from the track speed head end to the rear end coming to rest, all from one vantage point.

Fascinating!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0689 seconds