Home Open Account Help 368 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > on the road again . . .

Date: 08/15/18 06:31
on the road again . . .
Author: 3rdswitch

.   .   .   on my final day in Eastern Board territory I lucked out twice. Stepped out of my motel in Blue Ash suburb of Cincy for my morning walk, heard a horn. Only one line is within hearing. I "think" it is a former DT&I line? (*correction noted and appreciated*) A spur with an extremely rural feel that heads northeast about five or six  miles. Ran back in, got camera and went looking. Spotted this job with Indiana and Ohio unit leading six or seven boxcars in good morning light (top and middle). After return and walk went to first main line west of I 75, NS?, got impatient so headed over to next main line CSX? of course heard train pass on line I just left, headed back to first mainline, heard train on second main line. Explored a bit further south toward downtown Cincy and saw this southbound CSX auto train coming (bottom)   .   .   .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/18 06:51 by 3rdswitch.

Re: on the road again . . .

.   .   .   went exploring around the river in Cincy. Caught southbound CSX auto train beginning river crossing passing in service color position light signals (top). After much frustration trying to access tracks in this vacinity decided to spend the remainder of my time along the north bank of the river west of town. Saw this unit working in a facility along the river near Edwards, OH (middle). I "think" it is former GTW 4444? Operator was kind enough to allow me to cross tracks to get to sunny side and told me a shortline yard was only a few miles down the road. Arrived CINC yard at Hooven, OH, finding this nice looking GP sitting in the yard (bottom).   .   .   last three to come   .   .   .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/18 06:37 by 3rdswitch.

.  .  .   Second luck out was happening upon eastbound CINC (?)  job returning from Cincy parallel to the CSX near Saylor Park, OH (top) then again entering and leaving Great Miami River bridge at Hooven, OH (middle and bottom). Hung around a bit hoping for a CSX but never say anything on the line in four hours. Took the Anderson Ferry across and headed for the airport and home, arrving 2300 hrs. Great visit to Eastern Board territory, had a blast and met alot of fine people. As Arnold S said, "I'll be back"
JB

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/18 06:47 by 3rdswitch.

Date: 08/15/18 06:47
Author: penncentral74

3rdswitch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> .   .   .   on my final day in Eastern Board
> territory I lucked out twice. Stepped out of my
> motel in Blue Ash suburb of Cincy for my morning
> walk, heard a horn. Only one line is within
> hearing. I "think" it is a former DT&I line? .

That line is the former Cincinnati, Lebanon & Northern/PRR/PC/CR/I&O.  It runs from McCullough Yard in Norwood OH to just short of Fields-Ertel Road, north of Blue Ash.

The line used to connect at Lebanon OH with the Dayton, Lebanon & Cincinnati, but became the CL&N in the 1890's.

The attached listing from an 1892 Official Guide shows the commuter trains that used to ply these rails.  Folks in Northeast Cincinnati might wish today to have such service.

The line was intact until the mid-1970's when Penn Central severed the line between Fields-Ertel Road and Mason OH.  I&O still operates both segments, and the Lebanon OH end is operated by the Cincinnati Railway Company's Lebanon, Mason & Monroe scenic railway.

Date: 08/15/18 06:53
Author: penncentral74

3rdswitch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> .  .  .   Second luck out was happening upon
> eastbound CINC (?)  job returning from Cincy
> parallel to the CSX near Saylor Park, OH (top)

This is the CIND (CENTRAL RAILROAD COMPANY OF INDIANA) portion of the G&W.  The line was originally the NYC line from Cinti to Indianapolis, Kankakee and Chicago.

The bulk of traffic on this line is Honda auto traffic just west of Greensburg IN.  They interchange with CSX at Idaho St in Cinti and run through CSX's Queensgate Yard to reach the I&O's McCullough Yard in Norwood OH.   Norwood is a city-within-a-city (Cincinnati).

Date: 08/15/18 07:15
Author: refarkas

Great catches. 
Thanks for posting these.
Bob

Date: 08/15/18 09:24
Author: cabsignaldrop

Good job, and thanks for the poster who shared the timetable.  Very interesting stuff from my old stomping grounds.

Date: 08/15/18 12:01
Author: jmbreitigan

Nice photos at the Great Miami River bridge.
John

Date: 08/15/18 13:09
Author: scraphauler

If you notice, you have a CIND unit on IORY and IORY units CIND. Besides being sister G&W roads, CIND and IORY share common management and essentially operate as a single system. CIND Power is maintained at McCullough Yard in Norwood and is often swapped around. In addition to the 4 units you saw, there is (or was a couple days ago) another set of SD40s on CIND - a red and gray IORY and a maroon and yellow Ohio Central. They’ve been anchoring the daily Honda job.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 08/15/18 16:19
Author: KimHeusel

More great shots Joe. Thanks for sharing. Interesting that on the two southbound CSX trains one was led by 5424 and the other by 5423. The ex-B&O line that yielded zero results for you is the former B&O mainline to St. Louis, but you probably already knew that. Traffic consists of locals as well as road trains that come up the Louisville and Indiana Railroad to Seymour and then head east on the B&O. Not sure how many trains are running that way now, but not a lot, as you probably could tell. I've included links to discussions about the CIND and the CSX Indiana Sub that might interest you. Scroll to the last pages to get a more recent history of what's going on unless you have the time and interest to ply through years of comments and speculations.

http://indianarailroads.org/board/index.php?topic=7216.0

http://indianarailroads.org/board/index.php?topic=1967.0

Kim Heusel

Date: 08/15/18 16:30
Author: ns1000

Nice pics!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0791 seconds