Home Open Account Help 209 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Hotels in Altoona, PA Question

Date: 09/12/18 19:59
Hotels in Altoona, PA Question
Author: PRR_4859

Good Evening:

I may be visiting the Altoona area this weekend. Are there any good hotels in the area near the NS main line?

Thank you in advance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/18 20:00 by PRR_4859.

Date: 09/12/18 22:40
Re: Hotels in Altoona, PA Question
Author: video7105

Station Inn in Cresson, PA. Tom Davis Owner

Cassandra Railroad Hotel in Cassandra, PA John Shuniak Ownr

Cassandra is cheaper then the Station Inn, but the Station Inn serves a homecook breakfast

Enjoy
Dave
in PA

Date: 09/13/18 02:03

Thank you very much.

Date: 09/13/18 02:53
Author: DJ-12

Go to the Station Inn in Cresson, it’s a must do railfan experience.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/13/18 05:46
Author: bluesboyst

Station Inn, Cresson PA.  No other place like it...

Date: 09/13/18 06:22
Author: VFPNSFAN

The Tunnel Inn re-opened at the beginning of this year.  It's located at the west portal of tracks #2 &3 in Galitzin.  Nice second story deck with outdoor fireplace.  Very friendly ownership.

If you are looking for a regular hotel, Hampton Inn is probably one of the nicest in downtown Altoona.

These are other options, Station Inn in Cresson is well reviewed and very railfan friendly from what I've read. 

Date: 09/13/18 07:14
Author: P

The Tunnel Inn in Gallitzin is a great spot. I stayed there several times before their hiatus.

Posted from Android

Date: 09/13/18 07:56
Author: RGDave

Station Inn in Cresson, all the way.  All the trains that move, great front porch, many walkable restaurants and a few taverns too.  

Can't beat it!

~RGDave

Date: 09/13/18 08:00
Author: TEEKAY

Stay at the Tunnel Inn in Gallitzin.  Been going there for years and clean, updated, A/C, etc. and perfect overlook onto
mainline.

Date: 09/13/18 08:40
Author: engineerinvirginia

There's a motel 6 in town somewhere....it's near food. That's my only requirement....good food. 

Date: 09/13/18 09:03
Author: WLE2679

There is a newer Fairfield in Altoona now that we now stay at. About a mile from 17th street.

Date: 09/13/18 14:34
Author: CCMF

Oh man, Station Inn, no question about it.

Bill Miller
Galt, ON

Date: 09/13/18 17:07
Author: algoma11

The Wye Motor Lodge in Duncansville is near NS and the Everett Railroad ! Its clean and reasonable.

Mike Bannon
St Catharines, ON

Date: 09/13/18 17:58
Author: OCtrainguy

The family and I went out to Altoona in late May of this year.  With the kids, I stayed at TownePlace Suites.  It was eight years since my last visit there and this seemed to be a fairly new hotel.  Everyone enjoyed it.  And they had plenty of train photos throughout the hotel.  They had outdoor grills, so we bought dinner a tthe grocery store and cooked it at the hotel.  

Date: 09/13/18 18:26

Thank you all.

Date: 09/16/18 08:45
Author: CR6377

The Wye Motor lodge is more than several miles away from NS, so that info is wrong. It's near the Everett but not in good view. The Tunnel Inn in Gallitzin was recently redone and owned by a couple who are great people that I would recommend over the Station Inn anyday. That place need totally redone (Which won't happen under Tom Davis) and he recently got rid of one of the best caretakers and cooks at the place. Real shame that place has gone downhill so much.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0516 seconds