Home Open Account Help 212 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > East Penn RR at Montchanin

Date: 09/13/18 15:00
East Penn RR at Montchanin
Author: RevRandy

Staying for a few days at the idyllic Inn at Montchanin (a former Dupont workers' village now transformed into an Inn with the distinction that each room/suite is unique to fit the variety of separate houses on the property) and just below our house is a grade crossing of Kirk Road, then Rockland Road, and then Montchanin Road.  It is on the East Penn Railroad line that connects Coatesville PA with Elsmere Junction, DE, avoiding going into Philly for connections.

As the photo shows (at the Kirk Road crossing), the trackage is single, vegetated, and well-worn.  It is also trackage used (I believe) by the Wilmington and Western for their tourist trains.   In fact, it looks like one of their dinner trains (train to a restaurant) will be going by this evening.

But, before that, as I was sitting on the front porch of my house, I heard a horn in the distance, and then a short time later the crossing signals started ringing and flashing, and so the video.  I expected a very short turn coming through, but it was much larger than I expected.  

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/18 15:10 by RevRandy.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 09/13/18 15:45
Re: East Penn RR at Montchanin
Author: HB90MACH

That is not the Wilmington and Western line. That comes out of the other end of Elsmere yard by rt141 That is a normal length train and they run 3 times a week from coatesville to Elsmere and back. The other days they are running through mushroom country to oxford PA and the Herr's foods plant there.

Date: 09/13/18 19:45
Author: Tominde

This is an ex Reading line home to Reading T1s in regular service.   Thanks for sharing.   Been quite a while since any excursions there.

Date: 09/14/18 01:56
Author: reel_smooth

And I see it was the same two GP38-3's that I caught in Oxford last week. Wonder how long East Penn is going to keep that NS unit. 

Date: 09/14/18 07:41
Author: eastpenn23

reel_smooth Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And I see it was the same two GP38-3's that I
> caught in Oxford last week. Wonder how long East
> Penn is going to keep that NS unit. 

Roughly another week. 1800 is coming back too

Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/14/18 17:48
Author: inCHI

Thanks for posting this, I always like to see how that line looks. It goes past the high school I went to where I used to always see it.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0385 seconds