Home Open Account Help 208 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > NS freight ops near Saratoga Springs, NY

Date: 10/14/18 08:44
NS freight ops near Saratoga Springs, NY
Author: OCtrainguy

Last week, my son and I rode the Adirondack up to Port Henry, NY.  While approaching Saratoga Springs, NY, we passed a small yard with several cuts of freight cars and a NS engine.  Not knowing the freight operations in the area, I was a bit surprised as I was expecting either CSX or CP.  So my question is what kind of operations does NS have in the area?  Would they utilize this area from Binghamton or some type of trackage rights over CSX?  Would NS trains terminate here or continue elsewhere?  Any information would be appreciated.

Date: 10/14/18 08:55
Re: NS freight ops near Saratoga Springs, NY
Author: Lackawanna484

There was an outfit at Fort Edward processing contaminated fill dredged from the Hudson River.

For a while they used a leased Finger Lakes locomotive.

Maybe that's what you saw?

Posted from Android

Date: 10/14/18 09:25
Author: resqjon

NS has one daily freight each way between Binghamton, NY and Montreal. (30T/31T). NS crews handle the as far north as Saratoga Springs, and CP crews handle them to the border. CN used to handle them in Canada, but I’m not sure if that is still the case.

Jon

Date: 10/14/18 10:51
Author: waivethefive

As resqjon stated NS runs a pair of freights between Binghamton and Saratoga with crews based in Binghamton. North of Saratoga the trains are run by CP crews and are then handed off to the CN near the Canadian Border. On CP these trains are symboled 930/931 (NS 30T/31T).

Posted from Android

Date: 10/14/18 13:45
Author: OCtrainguy

Thanks for the information. 

Date: 10/16/18 07:44
Author: Mberry

resqjon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> NS has one daily freight each way between
> Binghamton, NY and Montreal. (30T/31T). NS crews
> handle the as far north as Saratoga Springs, and
> CP crews handle them to the border. CN used to
> handle them in Canada, but I’m not sure if that
> is still the case.
>
> Jon

Yes, that is still the case. Current operations see CN 528 (which becomes CP 930 and then NS 30T) called in Montreal around 18-1900. The crew brings the train to Rouses Point and returns to Montreal with CN 529 (CP 931 and NS 31T).

Michael

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0331 seconds