Home Open Account Help 284 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Central New England/Connecticut Southern near Hartford

Date: 11/10/18 19:28
Central New England/Connecticut Southern near Hartford
Author: OCtrainguy

I visited my son up in Hartford last Friday and Saturday.  One of the things I wanted to is see some of the freight ops in the area.  My son is trying to figure out a schedule as well.  The first thing we took a look for was the Central of New England.  On Friday, as I took Amtrak to Hartford, and my son picked me up, we saw empty freight cars at the interchane track just north of the Hartford train station.  So we then took a drive to their "yard" (where they keep their locomotives and ballast), which is near the Bloomfield-Windsor line.   There, we found their two locomotives and some ballast cars.  Here are some photos of the Central of New England.  

1.  Engine 3670
2.  View from the grade crossing.  Looks to be another Geep in the background.  
3.  Engine 3006

A few more to follow... 

Date: 11/10/18 19:32
Re: Central New England/Connecticut Southern near Hartford

A few more from the Central New England:

4.  Engine 3670 showing some prior paint and ownership
5.  On the other side of the tracks, looking across a field at two of their engines
6.  A former Conrail ballast hopper

Next are some photos of the Connecticut Southern...  

Date: 11/10/18 19:40

After our photos from the Central New England, we headed over toward the Xfinity Center in Hartford which is right by the Connecticut Southern yard.  We weren't sure what was running and we didn't see any engines when we arrived.  A short wait was well worth it as we heard a horn and a rumble of an engine.  Not sure what job this was, but they brought some cars into the yard and moved some around to grab a tanker car.  Here are some photos.

7.  The crew arriving in the yard
8.  Side view of GP38-2 2048
9.  Shoving a cut of cars into the yard

A few more to follow... 

Date: 11/10/18 19:47

Last of the photos...

10.  The conductor throwing a switch to allow the 2048 to reverse
11.  A side look at GP38-2 3855 
12.  With the tank car they needed, the train is put together as pull-pull and they headed back the way they came

Our timing was good, both in at least catching this job and before the rains came in.  Am hoping to catch both the Central New England and the Connecticut Southern in future visits.  It was neat to see the one job moving cars around in the yard.  Hope you enjoy. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.043 seconds