Home Open Account Help 389 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > ND&W RR status

Date: 11/19/18 19:12
ND&W RR status
Author: wag

How is the ND&W railroad in northwest Ohio doing? Any progress on track upgrades? This I believe was an ex Wabash line that has been called "The World's Worst Railroad'. Wag.

Date: 11/19/18 19:22
Re: ND&W RR status
Author: wabash2800

The new owner has been working on the track for the past few years. Progress is visible from the new U.S. 24 with piles of ties, etc.. Some sections look better than others. I believe that Indiana Northeastern sold them some old 110 lb. rail which is an improvement over the 80-90 lb Wabash rail that took a beating from larger cars.

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/18 19:30 by wabash2800.

Date: 11/20/18 02:31
Author: howeld

The tracks through Liberty Center were being pulled up last week. Not sure how far west they are removing. The State made a deal so they didn’t have to build an overpass at the US 6/24 crossing in Napoleon. So it’s possible they could go all the way to Napoleon.

I think they had a derailment in Antwerp a few weeks ago that tied up the town.

Otherwise wise haven’t heard much of the ND&W. No news is good news I suppose.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 11/20/18 07:30
Author: farmer

Tracks will remain from Napoleon to Liberty Center. Being removed in Liberty Center for a sewer project.
Otherwise conditions have improved everyday they work on the line.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 11/20/18 08:02
Author: brc600

What is the total mileage being removed? Is it becoming railbanked or a trail? What if a shipper comes along and wants service? TIM

farmer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Tracks will remain from Napoleon to Liberty
> Center. Being removed in Liberty Center for a
> sewer project.
> Otherwise conditions have improved everyday they
> work on the line.
>
> Posted from iPhone

Date: 11/20/18 08:48
Author: farmer

Only removing a half mile or so in the town of Liberty Center. The east end of said removal will be used for the rails to trails and hook up with the trail that continues on toward Maumee.
The other five mile portion heading westward toward Napoleon will be railbanked for future development possibilities. With rails only removed or paved over at road crossings.
As mentioned this was done with the states blunder of not building a overpass on the US 6-24 crossing where numerous accidents have occurred.

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0348 seconds