Home Open Account Help 245 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > And now your Alabama RR History lesson

Date: 11/28/18 11:16
And now your Alabama RR History lesson
Author: ns2557

OK now, pay attention. Quiz follows...

Yesterday we had the opportunity to catch the ATN (Alabama & Tennessee River Rwy) at Gadsden Ala. In the many years I have been thru here, I have never caught one of the ATN Trains moving in the area. Have but a few of them in their yard here in that same time span. But we corrected that yesterday. The following 3 shots are of what I believe is the ATN Guntersville Turn or Train Z389. This one operates from Guntersville Al to Gadsden Al on the ex L&N Mineral Belt Line from Birmingham Ala to Gadsden Al. Interchange is made with the CSX at Boyles Yard in B'Ham. The track from Gadsden to the Port of Guntersville Al is an ex NC&StL Line. There is quite a bit of traffic along this line apparently.. Total trackage the ATN operates is 120 miles from Birmingham to the Port of Guntersville. Besides the interchange with CSX at Boyles in B'Ham they also interchange with NS at Alabama City and I believe at the NS Siskin Yard in Gadsden, tho it is not listed. CSX leased this trackage to OmniTrax in 2004 and they named the RR the ATN.

Their roster is quite a collection. Along with the 3 here, at the yard office in Gadsden was to be seen an ex SP/DRGW SD40T-2, 5387, looking good still in it's ex SP Speed Lettering Paint, but with a small ATN under the cab. Not in a spot to get any shots of it tho.

But here are the 3, I managed to shoot on this interesting Line.

Shot 1. NKCR GP50 5101, one of 2 ex NKCR units here, leads the train into the yard. That would be OMLX SD40-2 6298 and OMLX GP40-2LW 4291 trailing. They brought 20 cars into the yard and made a set out and did some switching and eventually the power made it's way back to the west/north end of their yard here. The 5101, btw, is Ex CNW 5060/UP 5511. Supposedly the ATN bought this unit and sister 5102.

Shot 2. Here be a roster of the 5101. Like the colors.

Shot 3. This is the power, but from the other end. They are heading west thru the yard at this point to the west/north end. The OMLX 4291, in rather "ratty" CN Paint leads. OMLX 6298 and NKCR 5101 are the trailers here.

Hope ya like the shots of this sorta obscure short line here in Alabama. Thought the history of the lines involved were, well, interesting. The lake at Guntersville Al is quite the scenic view, if only one could be at the right spot at the right time up there.

Thanks for gazing and hopefully learning some new things, like I did on this RR.  Ya'll take care.  Ben

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/18 11:18 by ns2557.

Date: 11/28/18 11:49
Re: And now your Alabama RR History lesson
Author: refarkas

Thanks for posting these great images. I can't remember seeing any more from this short line.
Bob

Date: 11/28/18 13:33
Author: SeaboardMan

Read the post......looked at the photos ( thanks ),  did I pass?
john

Date: 11/28/18 14:29
Author: ns2557

SeaboardMan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Read the post......looked at the photos ( thanks
> ),  did I pass?
> john
Yes John, Ya passed. Ben

Posted from Android

Date: 11/29/18 05:34
Author: Gonut1

I took a look on Google maps. I expected the Port of Guntersville to be on the Gulf. I thought I mistyped something when it landed on the Tenessee River. That was my geography lesson!
Thanks for a post from an obsure place.
Gonut

Date: 11/29/18 18:08
Author: Roadbed

Long ago there was a car float operation to Huntersville. A branch off of the Nashville to Chattanooga main came south or southwest to the river. I remember seeing it in one of the old L&NHS topo map books, but can't remember the Branch name north of the river.

Date: 11/30/18 07:04
Author: ctillnc

Details on the Hobbs Island car float at http://www.guidetozscale.com/html/operations.html. Quit in the late 1950s. Part of the NC&StL branch through Huntsville to the river remains in service as the HMCR.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/18 07:04 by ctillnc.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0684 seconds