Home Open Account Help 340 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Question about a train on NS Port road

Date: 11/28/18 19:21
Question about a train on NS Port road
Author: MdRailfan

While railfanning in the  Perryville, Md area over the weekend I saw what I believe to be 38A to Baltimore (do not use a scanner) twice and it had a large block of well cars loaded with I believe all international containers.  My question is where is this traffic coming from and if not 38A then what symbol is it?  It is mixed with general freight and of particular interest was Saturday's 11/24 train with a lone SD60E and 121 cars most of which were afore mentioned containers. This is not the 24M from Chicago.

Date: 11/28/18 22:41
Re: Question about a train on NS Port road
Author: video7105

If am correct, 38A is not a Port Rioad train. You likely saw 36A Conway to Baltimore. It had  a SD60E leader

Dave in PA

Date: 11/29/18 02:07
Author: Grover

I believe 38A, previously 34A, is Allentown to Baltimore.  36A is Conway to Edgemoor(Wilmington).

Date: 11/29/18 02:54
Author: PRR_4859

Were they containers often seen on other trains like Maersk, Cosco, or could they have been special use, such as military containers? I only ask as I have never noticed any containers on 36A. Maybe NS has new business through the Port of Wilmington.

Also, does 36A work at Enola, or run via the Royalton Branch?

Thank you in advance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/18 02:58 by PRR_4859.

Date: 11/29/18 03:51
Author: delvalrailfan

Grover Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I believe 38A, previously 34A, is Allentown to
> Baltimore.  36A is Conway to
> Edgemoor(Wilmington).

38A originates in Enola
36A hasn't originated in Conway in 2 1/2 - 3 years. It originates in Enola.

Date: 11/29/18 06:44
Author: eastpenn23

Sounds like 38A, although the wells are unusual. It's one of the last trains to head down the line each night

Posted from iPhone

Date: 11/29/18 15:58

The train in question went to Baltimore, not Wilmington and the containers were indeed Maersk, Cosco, Pasha Hawaii, Hamburg Sud (refrigerated), Hapag Lloyd, and more.  The mixed freight included John Deere tractors on Saturdays train but not Tues.  I am guessing 38A but I want to know where the containers are originating from.  Just curious, but no real concern, it is something I just haven't seen.

Date: 11/29/18 17:05

MdRailfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The train in question went to Baltimore, not
> Wilmington and the containers were indeed Maersk,
> Cosco, Pasha Hawaii, Hamburg Sud (refrigerated),
> Hapag Lloyd, and more.  The mixed freight
> included John Deere tractors on Saturdays train
> but not Tues.  I am guessing 38A but I want to
> know where the containers are originating from. 
> Just curious, but no real concern, it is something
> I just haven't seen.

Maybe instead of running an I4M out of Harrisburg they tacked it onto 38A.

Date: 11/29/18 18:29

I thought that  too, but the 24M which appears later then this only had IIRC 33 platforms and I would have thought the UPS traffic would have been more important, which was not on the questionable train.  I believe it is coming from possibly N.J. and going via rail instead of the ship making another port call in Baltimore.  I just thought of that possibility and maybe someone can confirm this. Thanks

Date: 11/30/18 03:55

http://www.nscorp.com/content/nscorp/en/shipping-options/intermodal/terminals-and-schedules/baltimore-m-d-.html

I think this might be your answer. Under "Destination: Baltimore, MD", click on Chicago 63rd, IL and switch to Chicago Landers, IL. It includes a routing from 20R-HH27-38A

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/18 03:56 by delvalrailfan.

Date: 11/30/18 05:42

Thats makes some sense and is probalbly right, must be cheaper for three day shipping vs. one day but looks like alot of diffuculty involved. Thanks for the info.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0486 seconds