Home Open Account Help 362 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > NA Tower in Cincinnati Torn Down

Date: 11/30/18 17:58
NA Tower in Cincinnati Torn Down
Author: K8DTI

This afternoon, November 30, 2018, the former Baltimore & Ohio interlocking tower at Ivorydale Junction in St. Bernard, Ohio (Cincinnati suburb), was torn down.  Close since 1994, it had become a blight and was easily visible from nearby highway I-75.  Here is a little gallery I put together of NA Tower as I saw it over the years.  https://flic.kr/s/aHsmnQ3iBU

Date: 11/30/18 18:07
Re: NA Tower in Cincinnati Torn Down
Author: jbohdan2

Nice series.  Thanks for sharing.  Always hate to see the demise of a tower, but it surely was an eyesore.

Date: 11/30/18 18:42
Author: NKPSOUTHERN

I agree.  Nice shots but to bad to  see a piece of history go down in rubble like that.  I have to look but I might have some pics taken from the train on a  few of the trips I made down there from Fort Wayne.

Date: 11/30/18 19:12
Author: P

That's an excellent collection of photos.  Thanks for posting.  

Sure was a surprise seeing it busted open this afternoon.  

Date: 11/30/18 20:16
Author: WLE2679

Nice collections of photos.   Is that a bad area or was it graffited so bad because it was out in the public eye. 

Date: 11/30/18 20:58
Author: hartrick24

When I travel south bound on I-75 it would always catch my eye. It will be strange not seeing it anymore. All of your photos are very nice, thank you for sharing...

Steve H...

Date: 11/30/18 21:02
Author: cabsignaldrop

Great series of photos....thanks for sharing.  

Date: 12/01/18 05:06
Author: algoma11

Super photos-thanks

Mike Bannon
St Catharines, ON

Date: 12/01/18 05:43
Author: tq-07fan

Weird, yesterday was one of the few days that I took I-71 instead of I-75 to go to work in the afternoon. I'm glad I saw this here first as not seeing NA Tower and not expecting it would certainly cause distracted driving.

I liked the photos too. My dad and I got to hang out with the same tower operator near the end in 1995.

Jim

Date: 12/01/18 07:42
Author: P

WLE2679 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice collections of photos.   Is that a bad area
> or was it graffited so bad because it was out in
> the public eye. 

It is a highly visible location right next to I75. Having said that, to get to it required a drive or walk on a one way path in a heavily urbex kind of path. In other words it was surrounded by the highway, tracks and a large creek. Kind of on an island.

Posted from Android

Date: 12/01/18 09:13
Author: superchief1944

Thank you for a very finely presented series of photos. Good job.

Date: 12/01/18 09:15
Author: Jimmies

At 65 mph from southbound I-75, Sept. 30, 2017.  I was the passenger, not the driver.

Jim

Date: 12/01/18 11:40
Author: Interlocker

Thanks much, K8DTI. Having been born and raised in Michigan with relatives in Cincinnati, northern Kentucky and points further south in the Commonwealth, I went past NA hundreds of times. My memories of its regression from fully functioning tower to derelict eyesore match your photos.

Many years ago, going south past NA in my parents' car meant another freeway-hugging landmark -- Crosley Field -- was near.

Date: 12/02/18 10:23
Author: RS11

Thanks for the walk back in time.  I've been by this on the train many times and knowing the insides of many towers from my past, this was a nice look at the inside.  Great photos.
I think you know some of the railroad guys from Cincy.  I'm sure they would appreciate this via Facebook.  Thanks again.

Date: 12/02/18 11:07
Author: wabash2800

Thanks for sharing. I remember seeing the tower the last time I went to SummerRail.

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.045 seconds