Home Open Account Help 366 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Eastern Funeral Train??

Date: 12/08/18 10:45
Eastern Funeral Train??
Author: NYC6001

Ya gotta wonder if CSX or NS would think to do something for Jimmy Carter (when the time comes) after seeing the terrific way the UP handled GHWB's funeral train. His presidential library is in Atlanta. Doesn't CSX go through Plains, GA?

Date: 12/08/18 11:40
Re: Eastern Funeral Train??
Author: Rathole

That will largely depend on the desires of Carter and his family.  It was Bush's desire to travel by train to College Station.  That said, I'm sure Jimmy Carter's plans are already made.  

Date: 12/08/18 12:57
Author: akpsteam

NYC6001 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ya gotta wonder if CSX or NS would think to do
> something for Jimmy Carter (when the time comes)
> after seeing the terrific way the UP handled
> GHWB's funeral train. His presidential library is
> in Atlanta. Doesn't CSX go through Plains, GA?

I have heard a few months back that the NS Maryland observation car would be used to carry Carter's remains.

Btw the Heart of Georgia (HOG) runs through Plains, GA.

Posted from Android

Date: 12/08/18 13:56
Author: CSX602

Here's NS 3939 back in 1989...  http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1111312 
That U23B was likely scrapped long ago so it will not be around to honor Carter for such a train...

Times were bad in the late 1970s for US businesses and many people, and why Reagan won by such a landslide in 1980.   
Although a very kind statesman, and Georgia legend, I can't see NS or CSX doing as much for Carter as UP did for Bush 41. 
I could see NS honoring family wishes/plans with train from Atlanta to Heart of Georgia RR to Plains (even though Plains was a SAL then SCL depot).

For the later southern President, maybe someday Arkansas & Missouri will roll this little gem down to Little Rock for Clinton's library...
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/31/01/d3/3101d3eed6cdf5103ea30aa276b02ad5.jpg

PS.  In HO model trains Walthers did a tongue-in-cheek model for Carter in the late 1970s, calling it the "Peanut One"  railcar.   A search can get you photos of the kit and some completed versions.   Perhaps that car was done in homage to the "Peanut Special" Amtrak chartered train that took Carter's friends and supporters to DC in Jan 1977.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/18 10:20 by CSX602.

Date: 12/08/18 15:01
Author: NSDTK

I cant tell you much. But there will be a funeral train in part of GA at minimum 

Date: 12/08/18 15:12
Author: Lackawanna484

Mr Bush was a naval aviator, which made a logical connection to the "missing man" formation of aircraft, etc.  Mr Carter was in the submarine service, which could make a recognition in kind more difficult.

I'd put a high probability on the chances of an Atlanta to Plains funeral train, when the time comes.

Date: 12/08/18 16:41
Author: MEKoch

Gee, I went thru Plains in Jan. 1977 on the Carter Inaugural train, so I am glad to see the HOG is still there and offering freight service.

Date: 12/08/18 18:04
Author: czephyr17

I'm not familiar with railroads in the Plains area, but looking at a Google Earth Street View photo of Plains taken in 2014, there is a picture of a HOG locomotive and several passenger cars in the siding across from the depot.  Are those part of a tourist train of some sort?

Date: 12/08/18 18:06
Author: TorchLake

The SAM short line railroad also offers passenger excursions on the HOG Railroad. I believe President Carter has a personal interest in the operation; when I helped transfer five surplus coaches from the state of Maryland to the state of Georgia for the project around 2004, I received a surprise letter of thanks signed by President Carter for my assistance.

When I was last in Plains in 2008, the train ran from the Habitat for Humanity village in Americus to the Carter family farm north of Plains.

TL

Posted from iPhone

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/18 06:07 by TorchLake.

Date: 12/09/18 10:24
Author: CSX602

SAM still runs those trains as well as holiday specials...   Here is their website:  https://samshortline.com/

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0444 seconds