Home Open Account Help 297 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > The Ghost of NE-87 visits the D&H

Date: 12/08/18 11:44
The Ghost of NE-87 visits the D&H
Author: CP4743

When the NS heritage program was unveiled in 2012, one of the key pieces of history I was excited to see repeated was the LV back running on the D&H. However, the LV unit proved elusive. By the Fall of 2018 the LV was the only heritage unit not to have lead a train on the D&H (it trailed a few times on 22K-23K in the Fall of 2017) and the only unit I had not recorded even though it was my favorite. Finally, in November 2018, the LV was assigned to lead PAS/NS 11R on 2 occasions. Back in the pre-Conrail 1970's NE-87 and NE-84 were trains that ran from Rigby Yard in Portland, ME to Potomac Yard, VA via an alphabet route of BM-DH-LV-RDG-BO. LV pool power, usually in the form of C-628's, were common visitors on the D&H on trains NE-87 and NE-84. So having the LV heritage in similar paint to what was used on several C-628's lead an East Deerfield, MA (BM) to Binghamton, NY (DH) freight in 2018 was a nice step back in time. The first trip of the LV on 11R is seen passing the iconic cement plant at Howes Cave, NY with a 115 car train on 11-17-2018 . The second trip is seen passing the historic D&H passenger station at Cobleskill, NY with a 50 car 11R on 11-24-2018.

Date: 12/08/18 12:41
Re: The Ghost of NE-87 visits the D&H
Author: boejoe

Thanks for sharing.  Don't know that I've seen the Cobleskill station before.  Most shots I remember from that area had a feed mill in the background.

If my old memory still serves me, I think the Floquil brand of model railroad paints was once made in Cobleskill.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/18 13:37 by boejoe.

Date: 12/08/18 17:11
Author: RayH

boejoe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for sharing.  Don't know that I've seen
> the Cobleskill station before.  Most shots I
> remember from that area had a feed mill in the
> background.
>
> If my old memory still serves me, I think the
> Floquil brand of model railroad paints was once
> made in Cobleskill.

Scalecoat, not Floquil (if MY memory is correct!)

Apparently my memory is fading faster than even I thought. I've been informed that Scalecoat was in PA, and Floquil was indeed in Cobleskill. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/18 05:46 by RayH.

Date: 12/08/18 17:42
Author: CP4743

I know that Floquil / Polly S had a plant on Rt 30 just north of Amsterdam, NY. I thought I remember seeing Cobleskill on the Floquil / Polly S bottles in the late 70's.

Date: 12/08/18 17:53
Author: jmgabriel

John,
Eloquent description and great location pix of the Spirit of NE-87...It was an honor to chase and photograph the first run of the LV 8104 on 11R with you.  After all the years we discussed this - it was fulfilling to finally see and experience 8104 tracing the route that LV C-628s ran back in the mid 1970s over the D&H in pool service.  Thanx to Wick Moorman and all the fine people at Norfork Southern that had a part in the heritage program, and for the countless employees that keep the trains moving safely around the clock. 
John G.

Date: 12/09/18 06:51
Author: march_hare

Floquil was indeed located in Cobleskill, about a mile du north of the station, on rte 145. Moved to Amsterdam in the 80s. 

Date: 12/10/18 08:29
Author: PasadenaSub

Nice photos, particularly the first one.  Is that an ex-Conrail SD80MAC as the 2nd unit?

Rich

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0338 seconds