Home Open Account Help 354 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Chicago Area Question?

Date: 12/09/18 09:11
Chicago Area Question?
Author: petenromney

Hi all from the UK.

I'm going to be in the Chicago area in March 2019 and have a few questions:

1, What can I expect the weather to be like? I know that sounds a bit silly, but is the weather going to be pot luck? Or do I need to come equipped for winter still!
2, Planning a railfanning day. I was possibly going to take METRA to West Chicago. Is this a destination worth a visit? I see there is a CN / UP crossing there, are there plenty of trains?
Also not wishing to sound disrespectful to somebody's neighborhood, is West Chicago a safe destination for someone from out of town?

My back up plan is a trip on the BNSF racetrack, as have been there before, but West Chicago looks interesting to me.
Many thanks in advance.
Pete UK

Date: 12/09/18 09:27
Re: Chicago Area Question?
Author: Lackawanna484

Elmhurst on the UP line is easily accessible by rail, safe, and near food / services.

Just my opinion, of course.

Posted from Android

Date: 12/09/18 09:33
Author: GPutz

Both West Chicago and Elmhurst (closer to Chicago) are good, safe locations.  In my opinion Elmhurst has better views for imaging trrains at the station; but West Chicago does have the CN/EJ&E crossing just west of the station with a tower.  Gerry

Date: 12/09/18 09:49
Author: King_Coal

Predict the weather in Chicago? You need to head to a more divine authority than even reside on TO!

Date: 12/09/18 11:59
Author: sums007

Expect chilly weather, for the most part.  And it can be windy, which increases the feeling of cold.  I've come home with frozen toes after the St. Patrick's Day Southside parade.

My personal trainwatching favorite is Lagrange Rd. station on the BNSF Aurora Line.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/18 11:59 by sums007.

Date: 12/09/18 12:23
Author: inCHI

I would stick with West Chicago because I think it is significantly more interesting. You have a diamond, a tower, a connection, and CN is busy as well as UP. I would expect weather to be chilly but hopefully not truly cold.

Date: 12/09/18 13:24
Author: MEKoch

Downtown West Chicago has a few simple cafes in which I ate Mexican, etc.   Got warm.  Used bathroom and enjoyed my day at W. Chicago.  

Date: 12/09/18 14:34
Author: calumet

For more information on West Chicago, go here:

http://dhke.com/CRJ/turner.html

Date: 12/09/18 18:53
Author: WrongMain

March weather in Chicago is a crapshoot.  One year you could be out golfing or playing ball, the next year you could be shovelling eight inches of snow.  Hopefully, your visit will be later in the month when the odds for nice weather are better.

Date: 12/10/18 13:00
Author: kevink

Good advice on locations and weather already noted above. Try to avoid riding Metra on St. Patrick's Day weekend. Unless, of course, you like riding on packed trains with celebrating riders.

Date: 12/10/18 13:19
Author: Lackawanna484

kevink Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Good advice on locations and weather already noted
> above. Try to avoid riding Metra on St. Patrick's
> Day weekend. Unless, of course, you like riding on
> packed trains with celebrating riders.

wear old clothes and shoes, too.  Easier to just discard them than trying to get them cleaned.

Date: 12/12/18 12:43
Author: petenromney

Hi all many thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

Pete in the uk

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0486 seconds