Home Open Account Help 346 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Perkiomen Junction/Valley Forge Park action last week

Date: 12/10/18 05:22
Perkiomen Junction/Valley Forge Park action last week
Author: VFPNSFAN

First photo, 14G leans into the curve at Perkiomen Junction, PA on the NS Harriburg Line at MP 24.5, Saturday 12/8.

Second and Third, same train passing the former Reading Port Kennedy station in Valley Forge, PA at MP 22.  Playing with the editing function. 

Date: 12/10/18 05:26
Re: Perkiomen Junction/Valley Forge Park action last week

Last Wednesday's 38G passing MP 24.5 on the NS Harrisburg Line, Phoenixville, PA.

64T splits the 241W signal, same location and date as above.

Yesterday's 38G, in Bridgeport, PA also on the NS Harrisburg line.

Date: 12/10/18 05:28

Going away shot of same 38G.

Yesterday's 39G with Norfolk and Western heritage unit leading and a UP doing the honors.  Bridgeport, PA about a mile from Abram's yard.

Same train, both units.

Date: 12/10/18 08:35
Author: boejoe

Nice package of photos.  I like lighting of #2 at Port Kennedy.  Also the split signals is well done.  Do I see the old US 202 bridge and Norristown High Speed Line bridges in Bridgeport?

Date: 12/10/18 09:26
Author: King_Coal

Good group of photos that are extra fun due to growing up nearby. I guess that's De Kalb St and the P&W (Septa) in the background in the Bridgeport photos.

I caught an eastbound RDC run at not quite the same angle, back in 1975 at Port Kennedy. You can see the lead to the Port Kennedy branch in the background under the signal mast. That used to have several quarries and  Ehret Asbestos & Magnesia works. The industry ended and branch abandoned in 1976. The Reading depot was built in 1910 and had a thorough restoration shortly after my photo. It was used as a commuter and tourist stop during the 1976 bi-centennial celebration.

Date: 12/10/18 09:52

I LOVE older photos of this area showing Reading power or the RDCs, thanks for posting.  I've never seen a pic with that branch line still in tact.  Due to the current bridge construction and modifications on the park side, you can no longer drive into the parking lot at Port Kennedy.  The ROW of that branch line now serves as the access for the Abram's Jitney to drop off the CO for west bound trains.

Boejoe - you are correct, that is the 202 bridge and the high speed line from Norristown to the 69th street terminal in west Philly.  Norristown is to the right in the last two photos.

Date: 12/10/18 10:09

Here's a reverse view of Port Kennedy from 1973. Plus the end of the Port Kennedy Industrial Track switch-back. There was never anything going on that spur that seemed to warrant attention.

No, I should not have climbed that signal. When I got to the top on one trip, there was a Yellow Jacket nest. NS or Conrail removed the temptation.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/18 18:13 by King_Coal.

Date: 12/10/18 10:31

GOOD STUFF!!  Neat to see!  I think you are past the statute of limitations on your climbing transgretion, hopefully the NS Police will let you slide.  I'm sure you paid for it anyway when you discovered the bees nest. 

Date: 12/10/18 12:01

There was/is a branch into the King of Prussia Industrial Park.  The T-1 Freedom Train utiized that track during it's display at K of P during the Bi-Centennial year.  Did that branch come from Port Kennedy or the Valley Forge station or in between?  Pretty sure it did not come from Abrams Yard area.

Date: 12/10/18 12:15

I believe that was referred to as Cabot, Cabot and Forbes siding. It broke off on the "north" end of Abrams Yard. It was actually called "North Abrams" in the timetable.

Date: 12/10/18 13:38

There was a branch that I believe came out of Abrams into King of Prussia industrial area.  If you find Rt 23(Valley Forge Rd)where it crosses over Trout creek(it's a 90 degree curve in the road), on the north side of the road there are tracks there that have been cut and abandoned.  If you followed them back it would lead you to the west end of Abrams.

Date: 12/10/18 17:44

King_Coal Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I believe that was referred to as Cabot, Cabot and
> Forbes siding. It broke off on the "north" end of
> Abrams Yard. It was actually called "North Abrams"
> in the timetable.

CC&F siding makes sense as that developer, to my recollection, built the park initially.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0522 seconds