Home Open Account Help 370 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > NS Juniata Locomotive Shop testing facility video

Date: 12/10/18 12:03
NS Juniata Locomotive Shop testing facility video
Author: Lackawanna484

NS says they can rebuild a locomotive in 6.5 days, that's pretty impressive.   And, in a shop facility they originally planned to close after the Conrail takeover.

Nice video, with interviews of various process leaders

http://www.nscorp.com/content/nscorp/en/about-ns/environment/juniata-locomotive-shop.html

Date: 12/10/18 13:52
Re: NS Juniata Locomotive Shop testing facility video
Author: mully

6.5 days? Then how come units sit for months ? I know it may not be a priority or parts but I would be shocked even if they hurried it could be done. Even then most of crews I have talked say these are junk. As one said you can sugar coat a turd and it’s still a turd. I would like to hear other employees on here and their thoughts

Gary

Posted from iPhone

Date: 12/10/18 16:08
Author: CR4114

That's 6.5 days to do an engine overhaul, not a complete rebuild. Engine overhaul, is basically the engine is stripped down to the bare block and crank, and build back up again with new/rebuilt power assemblies/pumps/injectors/etc.Yes and the rebuilt turds as some people have called them, are running so "Turdly" that the GE DC to AC units have better reliabilty numbers then their brand new Tier-4 counterparts, and the SD60E's and doing better then the almighty Dash-9's.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/18 16:09 by CR4114.

Date: 12/11/18 15:36
Author: shadetree

The -9's are getting some age to them.  Still reliable.  I've had more trouble with new stuff than proven units.

Eng.Shadetree

Date: 12/11/18 23:39
Author: MP683

From the NS link:

“NS can strip a locomotive down to the bare frame and completely rebuild it, including the engine, alternator, wiring, cab, trucks, combos and running gear—all in 6.5 days.”

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.044 seconds