Home Open Account Help 246 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Rail and Water

Date: 01/06/19 17:20
Rail and Water
Author: roadrunner

Its not to often in January that you get a nice sunny snow free day in Cleveland but when you do you take advantage.
In the background on the former Nickel Plate Bridge is NS 206 heading east. He is crossing the Cleveland Flats with the Cuyahoga River below. The John J. Boland from Wilmington, Delaware is backing down the river after unloading and is heading towards Lake Erie and I'm guessing back home.  

Date: 01/06/19 18:39
Re: Rail and Water
Author: PRR_4859

What line crosses the lift bridge?

Thank you in advance.

Date: 01/06/19 18:43
Author: roadrunner

It’s the Norfolk Southern main line from Bellevue to Buffalo.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 01/06/19 19:17
Author: refarkas

Excellent images.
Bob

Date: 01/06/19 20:10
Author: boejoe

Many marine vessels, both commercial and pleasure craft, call Wilmington DE as home port due to favorable tax laws as due many corporations.

Date: 01/07/19 07:37
Author: DJ-12

roadrunner Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It’s the Norfolk Southern main line from
> Bellevue to Buffalo.
>
> Posted from iPhone
Nice shots....I think he was asking about the lift bridge, not the one the train is on. That one below is a highway bridge right? Does the Flats Industrial Railroad still have a bridge down there somewhere?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/19 07:42 by DJ-12.

Date: 01/07/19 08:08
Author: engineerinvirginia

Downtown Cleveland....more or less behind Terminal Tower has a LOT of interesting bridgework....if I could get round there when it wasn't freezing cold and windy I'd explore some of it, and try to get some moody black and white pictures of all of it. 

Date: 01/07/19 08:21
Author: arelpy

The lift bridge is for a road -- West 3rd Street.

Date: 01/07/19 08:49
Author: eastpenn23

boejoe Wrote:
> Many marine vessels, both commercial and pleasure
> craft, call Wilmington DE as home port due to
> favorable tax laws as due many corporations.

No sales tax

Posted from iPhone

Date: 01/07/19 09:35
Author: ts1457

Interesting seeing a big boat back out. I did  not think of that as a routine part of the operations.

Date: 01/07/19 11:52
Author: zars

The lift bridge is West 3rd Street.  The lights of Progressive Field (the MLB Indians home) can be seen.  The east end of the replaced I-90 bridges can be seen at the upper left; which cross over the NS main and then high over the river just in front of the NS lift bridge.  The old bridge was the same age and design as the bridge that collapsed in Minneapolis some years ago, which necessitated its replacement.  The train is eastbound and is already crossing the NKP (NS) lift bridge out of view to the left, probably moving given that it is not present in photo #2 (the locomotives were in front of the brick structure in the background but not in front of it in the next photo).  The Boland is indeed backing downriver toward Lake Erie, but appears to have stopped, possibly waiting for the NKP lift bridge to be raised out of the way.  Ordinarilly, boats would have the right-of-way; but on the river it is probably moving slow enough to let the train get over the bridge before the boat gets there.

Date: 01/07/19 16:37
Author: CO5232

roadrunner Wrote:
 The
> John J. Boland from Wilmington, Delaware is
> backing down the river after unloading and is
> heading towards Lake Erie and I'm guessing back
> home.  
Its tracking info shows it heading to Two Harbors MN to load ore, due there Wednesday.

Date: 01/07/19 20:47
Author: SD45X

He’s alive!!! LOL!

Posted from iPhone

Date: 01/08/19 02:52
Author: JPB

Neat pair of photos! So if I understand correctly, the ship will back all the way down the undulating river from the 3rd st lift bridge to the lake where it will spin 180 degrees and depart (ie, the red line)? Q: is there a dispatcher / harbor master that controls movements along this narrow river (including ensuring lift bridges are open)? Seems like once the John J Boland starts backing toward the lake, there isn't enough river width to accommodate a meet.

Date: 01/08/19 12:39
Author: zars

She may not need to back all the way out to the lake.  She might have enough room in Collision Bend (the second, almost 90 degree left turn in the river from where the boat is now) and back as far into the bend as possible, then use the bow thrusters to bring it hard to starboard (right). 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0792 seconds