Home Open Account Help 382 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Philly's Zoo Jct and Belmont Connection

Date: 01/10/19 17:12
Philly's Zoo Jct and Belmont Connection
Author: GoodTimeCharlie

I recently saw the tail end of what was probably a CSX local coming off the High Line heading 'downhill' in front of Zoo Tower on what might be know as the Belmont Connection (or 'connecting track'...).  I'm sure there are some gaps in my terminology, but those of you that know the area will know what I'm talking about.

Does anyone know the grade on that stretch of track ?  Appears to be pretty steep (as far as railroads go).  

I work in downtown Philly and have sightlines to the High Line as well as CSX on the east side of the Schuykill.  The High Line doesn't see much traffic these days (but CSX is busy !)

TIA for any info - 

GTC

Date: 01/11/19 09:46
Re: Philly's Zoo Jct and Belmont Connection
Author: boejoe

Can't answer the question but familiar with the grade.  Saw it from my commuter train many, many times but never with a train occupying that track.

Date: 01/11/19 11:17
Re: Belmont Connection
Author: timz

Dunno if the chart shows the grade there--
I'll check. For now I'll guess 2.5% or less.

Date: 01/11/19 15:37

Don't see it on the PRR chart, but the Conrail chart
shows maybe a quarter-mile of 1.75%.

Date: 01/11/19 17:28
Author: pdt

May look steeper than it is cause the freight track is descendiong from the High Line to the riverside  level of the belmont branch, while the Amtk/Septa tracks are climbing from street level up to cross over the schuykill river.

I rode on the connection way back when septa was running diesel (with NJT U34ch's no less) on the west trenton line to 30th st lower level.
Route was Wayne Jct-Blue line connecting track -across the schuykill, south leg of the wye, belmont branch, zoo, 36th st connection, 30th st lowel level.   That was before they separated CR from Amtk at Zoo.  (which was stupid then, and continues to be stupid now, imho.)

Date: 01/12/19 05:53
Re: SEPTA

> back when septa was
> running diesel (with NJT U34ch's no less) on the
> west trenton line to 30th st lower level.

When and why did SEPTA do that?

Posted from Android

Date: 01/12/19 20:06
Re: SEPTA
Author: GoodTimeCharlie

I recall a couple of videos out on YT - look for "SEPTA U34CH".

Also - many thanks for the feedback on my initial 'Belmont Connection' question !

GTC

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0515 seconds