Home Open Account Help 398 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Norfolk Southern St Louis / Kansas City Questions

Date: 01/20/19 04:25
Norfolk Southern St Louis / Kansas City Questions
Author: PRR_4859

Good Morning:

Do NS crews operate into their intermodal terminal in St Louis, MO, or do crews of the Terminal Railroad Association (TRRA) operate the trains into the terminal over their trackage? What days do trains 20T / 21T go into St Louis? How much time does this add to their schedule vs running straight to Decatur, IL and bypassing St Louis?

Lastly, is St Louis the only crew change point for trains between Moberly, MO and Decatur, IL? Are there any long crew pools that operate St Louis to Kansas City, or Decatur to Kansas City?

I know it is a lot of questions, but it is a part of the railroad I do not read much about. Some of it I have asked about before, but not sure if schedules have since changed.

Thank you in advance.

Date: 01/20/19 07:33
Re: Norfolk Southern St Louis / Kansas City Questions
Author: dantat13

I can answer some of these questions as I spent a lot of my time in the Saint Louis/Decatur, IL areas. NS 21T and 20T seem to run very randomly. NS 20T almost always runs via Saint Louis between the days of Sunday-Thursday and on Friday and Saturday they usually run NS 20A out of Luther Yard in Saint Louis through Decatur to Harrisburg, PA. 20T still runs but it goes via the Hannibal line through Moberly. NS 21T however seems to run very random with no set schedule between Moberly or Saint Louis. One day it ran to Saint Louis on a Monday but the following Monday it went through towards Moberly. NS 21A also runs randomly mainly on Friday's and Saturday's and I have even heard it in the middle of the week too. 

Yes, the only crew change point in Saint Louis is Luther Yard and then it is off to Moberly, Decatur, or Princeton, IN depending on the train. The NS has trackage rights over the TRRA so it is all NS crews for road trains. I think it is a few hours quicker running straight from Decatur to Moberly and on to Kansas City and there is no long pool crews from Saint Louis to KC or Decatur to KC. All trains crew change between Decatur, Moberly, Saint Louis depending on the train and destination. 

This is based on my viewings as I am always bouncing back and forth between Saint Louis and Decatur so I hope this helps! 

Date: 01/20/19 09:27
Author: PRR_4859

Thank you very much.

Date: 01/20/19 12:21
Author: Northern

Are there any container and or manifest trains that operate via St. Louis off of the old Southern Railway from Louisville and points to the east and south to Moberly and on to Kansas City?  Does NS maintain an intermodal yard or other yards for general freight in St. Louis?   

Date: 01/20/19 12:37
Author: mkerner

223/224 are KC to Jacksonville, FL via the old Southern. Luther yard is the only intermodal yard in St Louis for NS. They are not liked much by drayage drivers as all 20 and 40 footers are lifts and only 53 footers are drops. AO Smith yard in Granite City handles Granite City industrial work and originate 301/302 for Decatur and 167/168 for Knoxville. Federal yard in Alton and Roxana yard handle industrial work up there
Michael t Kerner
Collinsville, IL

Posted from Android

Date: 01/20/19 12:54
Author: delvalrailfan

mkerner Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 223/224 are KC to Jacksonville, FL via the old
> Southern. Luther yard is the only intermodal yard
> in St Louis for NS. They are not liked much by
> drayage drivers as all 20 and 40 footers are lifts
> and only 53 footers are drops. AO Smith yard in
> Granite City handles Granite City industrial work
> and originate 301/302 for Decatur and 167/168 for
> Knoxville. Federal yard in Alton and Roxana yard
> handle industrial work up there
> Michael t Kerner
> Collinsville, IL
>
> Posted from Android

167 terminates at Danville
168 originates at Danville
223 terminates at Atlanta
224 originates at Atlanta

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1017 seconds