Home Open Account Help 219 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Signal Saturday: winter scenes from the NS Ft Wayne Line

Date: 01/26/19 13:09
Signal Saturday: winter scenes from the NS Ft Wayne Line
Author: DJ-12

With all the gray, rainy, and just plain awful weather we've had this year, I have't been doing much shooting. Fortunately, winter finally arrived in Jauary, allowing for some snow scene shots around town. A couple weeks ago, I headed out along the NS Ft Wayne Line to shoot more of the endangered position light signals. NS obliged with a parade of trains:
1. First up was 11K at Haysville, Pa under the intermediate signals at 10.8.
2. Coming the other way in short order was the C28, headed for Island Ave to interchange with the AVR behind 40 year old GP40-2 3059.
3. Next up was the 25T on track 2 leaving a nice snow trail in his wake.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/19 21:19 by DJ-12.

Date: 01/26/19 13:21
Re: A few winter scenes from from around the Burgh...

4. Relocating down to Leetsdale, we find a westbound stack train overtaking the stopped 11K, stopped to allow the hotter train to cross over ahead of it to head into Conway first.
5. Now the Conway Terminal Dispatcher has flipped the traffic on 2 for an eastbound intermodal, coming under the PL's at Leetsdale. The 11K has already pulled and headed for Conway, but the signal on track 3 is fleeted for the next westbound, flashing a "medium approach" indication.
6. By the time the 11J has arrived on scene, the signal has upgraded to a "medium clear" (I think).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/19 13:21 by DJ-12.

Date: 01/26/19 13:30

7. After another ubiqutous intermodal passes, the DS lines up the C38, a local turn that runs to the POHC interchange at Esplen and back. Today's train is led by an admiral cab quipped SD40-2.
8. Today's train also has cars on the rear end for the big industrial park at Leetsdale. Ready to make their set off into track 0, the C38 backs towards the restricting signal on track 1.
9. Set out complete, the now abbreviated C38 rockets down 2 track in a brief snow squall at Haysville to close out our visit to the Ft Wayne Line today.

Thanks for looking!

Date: 01/26/19 13:34
Author: refarkas

My area lost most of its ex-PRR signals a few months ago, so seeing these images brought a big smile.
Thanks for sharing these.
Bob

Date: 01/26/19 13:49
Author: gcm

Excellent shots of both trains and signals!
I ran across the signals at Leetsdale 20 years ago and glad they are (temporarily) still there.
Riding the Pennsylvanian last summer from Pittsburgh to New York saw plenty of PRR signals left but new ones were being phased in.
Thanks for the shots.
Gary 

Date: 01/26/19 14:44
Author: RMD23

Excellent images, really like the first one...thanks for posting them!

Date: 01/26/19 15:07
Author: raydrs

Thanks! Great shots all! Nice to feature the PL signals in all their glory.

Date: 01/26/19 18:28
Author: Tominde

Nicely done.  Interesting combination of position lights and CPL.

Date: 01/26/19 19:42
Author: cabsignaldrop

These are some great photos, well composed and the PRR position signals seal the deal.  Thanks for sharing these wonderful pictures!

Date: 01/27/19 05:31
Author: ns1000

Nice shots!!

Date: 01/27/19 05:38
Author: jmbreitigan

Really nice coverage DJ-12. It could be the telephoto effect of the lens but the big cantilever signal at CP Leets seems to be leaning a little more (photo #8) than it was when I was there a few weeks ago.
John

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/19 05:39 by jmbreitigan.

Date: 01/27/19 06:58
Author: JUTower

Good stuff! Nice to see you posting again.

Date: 01/27/19 17:56
Author: Ritzville

Very NICE series!!

Larry

Date: 01/27/19 18:26
Author: mp51w

Just how old are those signals?

Date: 01/27/19 22:31
Author: coach

The "Leaning Tower of Leesdale" continues to lean even further--it is so noticeable.  I can't believe NS signed off on that installation.  It's so obviously bad--the foundation needs a complete re-do before that whole thing falls over.

Date: 01/28/19 07:24
Author: JUTower

Any sign of C lights on the new signals? It seems that cab signals are being extended from Solomon to Penn; but I’m curious if they will continue west to East Conway.

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0512 seconds