Home Open Account Help 226 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Atlanta Football stadium with freight trains

Date: 01/28/19 20:31
Atlanta Football stadium with freight trains
Author: usmc1401

Tonight while watching KABC 7 TV in Los Angeles a double stack train was in the shot from the Atlanta GA football stadium. The california sport anchor was doing his report about the superbowl next sunday with the stadium in the backround. In the bottom of the shot was a double stack train heading screen right to left below a roadway. Is this stadium built on or next to a main line like the stadium in Seattle WA. Or is a yard or terminal near the stadium.

Date: 01/28/19 21:53
Re: Atlanta Football stadium with freight trains
Author: kbmiflyer

Yes, there is a NS main line that runs right through just west of downtown,  it it is the main south exit to the Inman yard which is a few miles to the north.  For the most part, it is dug in below ground level as it traverses west of downtown and goes right buy the basketball and football stadiums

Once south of downtown, the lines splits into two seperate lines which serve Macon, Ga.   From Macon, NS diverges in several different directions including Savannah and Florida.

CSX has joint rights on some sections through downtown, but I am not sure if that includes the section by the dome.

There are no yards right in downtown Atlanta, but both NS and CSX have yards scattered nearby.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/19 21:54 by kbmiflyer.

Date: 01/28/19 22:22
Author: lapklub

Scroll in on Google Earth to the big Mercedes emblem on the Dome of the Stadium and you can see all the rail lines that go through the trench .
I believe CSX goes both ways through there.  The line to the east is the old Georgia Railroad towards Agusta. The line to the south is the old Atlanta & West Point towards Birmingham.
I haven't been to Atlanta in a while but I believe quite a bit runs through there, but most people don't even know the tracks are there because they are kinda below most of the traffic and they don't have to stop and wait for the trains to go by. 
I used to like Atlanta but now I avoid it, because it's just too much Traffic.
Mike

Date: 01/29/19 04:14
Author: MattW

South of the stadium, CSX and NS run jointly to East Point, GA where CSX's A&WP sub splits and heads toward Union City, Newnan, LaGrange, etc. The NS line there is the one to Griffin. Slightly south of the stadium, the NS Atlanta South district also splits and is the main route to Macon. North of the stadium, CSX has the eastern two tracks, NS has the western three tracks. CSX crosses the NS Gainesville district at Howell Junction. In other words, a CSX train coming from the south has to be on NS for a short time. A CSX train coming from the north can stay on CSX tracks if it goes to Hulsey yard just east of downtown Atlanta.

Date: 01/29/19 05:36
Author: ctillnc

http://www.railfanguides.us/ga/atl/

Map is somewhat oversimplified but it gives the general layout. 

Date: 01/29/19 13:11
Author: halfmoonharold

You are talking about an area known as "the Gulch". It is currently a hot topic in Atlanta because of a huge pending real estate deal that involved NS moving their HQ to Atlanta. You should be able to search out some recent posts on here about it. Maybe one of the locals will add to this?

Date: 01/30/19 05:09
Author: KimHeusel

ctillnc Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> http://www.railfanguides.us/ga/atl/
>
> Map is somewhat oversimplified but it gives the
> general layout. 

Interesting info. Glad you posted it.

Kim Heusel

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0415 seconds