Home Open Account Help 295 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Special protocols for extreme cold?

Date: 01/29/19 23:06
Special protocols for extreme cold?
Author: robbie

Hello all!

I hope this hasn't been addressed before (I did a quick search and didn't find anything), but with the "polar vortex" in full swing now -- lows down to -20 and highs still subzero here in NW Ohio, and I know worse in the Upper Midwest -- I was wondering if there are any special restrictions or safety protocols when temps reach a certain low? I'd be worried about rails pulling apart or otherwise becoming too stressed or out of gauge. And, of course, I'd also not want to have to walk one of these massively long trains now, when they're saying that frostbite can kick in within 10 minutes in -40 wind chills..

Thanks in advance!
Robbie

Date: 01/29/19 23:36
Re: Special protocols for extreme cold?
Author: pdt

My goodness, u'd think its never been cold before.   I was outside taking pictures in Montreal when the high was was 10 below.  The whole city functioned normally, including all the trains.   Too many ppl listening to weather channel hype.    I'm a former weather forecaster.  Believe me, the Weather Channel (and most meteorologists) totally enjoy getting all excited about weather extremes.  And what on earth are they gonna do for 24 hours a day, talking about the weather. Actually, they only do weather for 18 hours a day now. 

Date: 01/30/19 05:09
Author: engineerinvirginia

There are a few rules...like when engines are sitting in extreme cold....diesel engines actually don't make much heat with no load you know....and since an idling locomotive rarely ciruclates cooling water....the radiators can freeze solid very quickly.....so we have keep the engines throttled up (with the reverser centered of course) so the engine will make some heat and keep the water moving, and warmish...also long trains cannot pump air to the rear in cold weather but DP power helps immensely here. Look for more DP trains just because it's cold. Of course there's operational issues....rails break, switches get out of adjustment....the grease IN the switches gets solidified and the switch gets hard to throw. 

Date: 01/30/19 07:14
Author: farmer

M&W crews have been put on 24 hour coverage to repair any problems and assist train crews.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 01/30/19 07:21
Author: drsilverstreak

When I was a trainee in MIchigan, we used to fill reservoirs with alcohol to keep gaskets in the air brake system flexible.  Of course this is now prohibited.  This was before distributed power as well.  Big challenge was to get enough air pressure on the rear end for a brake test.  Trains were sometimes reduced to get a valid brake test.

Date: 01/30/19 07:24
Author: toledopatch

I don't know where this "-20 in NW Ohio" is coming from because the lowest official reading that I've seen so far is -13.

I do see -22 in Chicago on the weather reports, and -15 just over the Indiana line in Auburn, Ind.

Date: 01/30/19 07:36
Author: King_Coal

There are literally books of special protocols.

Speed limits are reduced. Trains are shortened up. DP used more frequently to mitigate air loss. Lots of switch heaters / blowers turned on constant. Managers would rent 4 wheel drive vehicles to transport/help crews.

Other posters touched on engineering forces. Engineering pre-work (fall) includes testing and fueling all switch heaters. On UP we would put up snow barriers at some CPs. Generators positioned in case of power outages. Test jet blowers etc. Check spreaders. Command centers to insure weather is monitored and employees dispatched with view to keeping critical sidings and lines open. Great example is on the Donner route, but this took place system wide on UP.

Just the surface of what is planned and executed.

Date: 01/30/19 12:12
Author: chakk

Many years ago when I rode Amtrak's CZ across Nevada during an extreme cold spell, the UP had instituted a maximum passenger train speed of 50 mph.   And all but one of the toilets in our coach froze up, but the passenger section itself was kept warm enough.

Date: 01/30/19 14:46
Author: pdt

Bundle up,  make sure the heater works, cell phone charged and working.
Have food, water, a shovel, and kitty litter on hand.
Dont do anything too quickly.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0413 seconds